[News] Another Common Use for Linux: Video

Video front-end comes with Linux drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| Nuvation is shipping a "video front end" reference design that digitizes
| multiple analog video streams, tiling them for display on a 1080i monitor.
| The Multichannel Video Front-End (McVFE) uses Texas Instruments (TI) video
| decoders and a Xilinx Spartan 3A FPGA, and ships with Linux drivers.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6987688312.html?kc=rss

"There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft generally signals
publicly -- and their customers are using it..."

                --Paul DeGroot, a Directions On Microsoft analyst.

Recent:

Is Linux growing at Windows' or Unix's expense?

,----[ Quote ]
| George Weiss, the vice president of Stamford, Conn.-based [Microsoft's]
| Partner Inc., said that there is probably "a whole lot more Linux [in use]
| than people realize" because so much is downloaded for free that is not
| counted in server shipments. Although the survey did not break down Linux use
| by organization size, Weiss speculated that Linux may be used in 80% of large
| enterprises, with lesser percentages in smaller businesses.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1329483,00.html

Analysts as a lagging indicator of success

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that analysts like Gartner get their information from the
| vendors that subsidize their research, as well as from CIOs. Neither is a
| good indicator of where the market is going.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10033668-16.html

Analysts fail on open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Industry analysts can play a valuable role. But their shortcomings are
| particularly evident in their coverage of open source software. And, apart
| from analysts, what viable alternative information sources exist?
|
| Despite their critics, analysts at their best can bridge a significant gap
| between vendors and software users. Vendor marketers who create information
| for prospective customers are understandably sales-driven and rarely grasp
| how their products are deployed.
|
| The result tends to be material strong on superlatives and weak on substance.
| Certain features are emphasized while the processes involved in
| implementation are largely ignored, even though these may be more significant
| and costly than the software itself.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/software/0,39044822,62045253,00.htm?scid=rss_z_eti

Reality Check: What does Gartner really DO?

,----[ Quote ]
| I have this notion to write a series of columns from time to time under the
| title "Reality Check" -- columns intended to explain how the world of
| Information Technology actually functions. Because like any other entrenched,
| complex, and often closeted industry, things in IT don't really work the way
| many people think they do. I'm guessing the Vatican is a bit like that, too.
| So I'll be looking at various IT players and their roles and trying to put
| them into perspective, much as I did recently with a column or two about the
| role of computer consultants. This week the topic is Gartner Inc., or rather
| all the Gartner-like operations that give advice about technology to
| America's largest businesses: what do these guys actually DO?
|
| Not much of real value I'm afraid -- at least of value in my view.
|
| [...]
|
| Into this knowledge vacuum come the vendors, who want to sell stuff, and the
| consultants like Gartner, Forrester, IDC, and the Yankee Group, who need IT
| managers to feel uncertain about every decision except the decision to buy
| something, anything. Then look at the number of "research reports" that are
| commissioned by vendors. Uh-oh.
|
| The five P's of IT are Pride, Prejudice, Politics, Price, and Performance,
| with the last two being by far the least important. Consultants like Gartner
| are very useful for minding the pride and politics, their real function being
| to provide $2 billion worth of IT management CYA per year.
`----

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2008/pulpit_20080516_004925.html

PC deal could save public sector billions

,----[ Quote ]
| Suffolk told Gartner, “I think we have fundamentally failed on a worldwide
| basis as an IT industry to understand the cost of what we do. And I roundly
| blame Gartner for this, because you guys are the ones who come up with TCO
| [total cost of ownership] benchmarking. It has become a self-fulfilling
| prophecy.
|
| “So, I go out and I pick boring desktop infrastructure. What price do you
| think the suppliers broadly pitch? You will not be shocked to know that it is
| somewhere around the Gartner TCO benchmark.”
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2008/03/31/230047/pc-deal-could-save-public-sector-billions.htm

Related:

Need some data to support your cause? Hire an analyst

| CIO.com raises an important issue about the integrity of research being done
| by industry analysts. Namely, if a sponsor pays for the research, do they get
| favorable treatment in that research?
|
| [...]
|
| I'm not suggesting that the research is corrupted. I'm just suggesting that
| it's hard to remove the taint of sponsored research. Just take a look at
| Gartner's "Hype Cycle" on open source, which is woefully inaccurate, probably
| in part because Gartner gets its information from the vendors who sponsor its
| research, not the customers who are buying into open source in droves.
|
| So, the next time you read a report, blog entry, or article, consider who
| pays the writer (including when reading this blog).
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9894178-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

http://advice.cio.com/thomas_wailgum/it_research_brought_to_you_by?page=0%2C0

Gartner analyst: OOXML important domino

,----[ Quote ]
| Businessweek (Jennifer L Schenker) quoted Gartner analyst Michael Silver last
| week who puts OOXML in a wider commercial perspective...
|
| "appear more open". This is how Gartner views the credibility of the new
| [OOXML] openness....
|
| Look how optimistic Gartner's Silver is...
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-44362/gartner-analyst:ooxml-important-domino

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]
| Just days after banning Enderle from discussing Microsoft because
| he has Microsoft as a client, the Times quoted Gartner analyst
| Michael Silver and AMR Research analyst Jim Murphy in a story
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| about Microsoft's Windows and Office software.
|
| If the paper would prefer not to quote an analyst who has
| experience with a client, it did a poor job. Silver is Gartner's
|                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| vice president in charge of client computing. Microsoft happens to
|                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| do lots of business with Gartner and also happens to have a
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| client-software monopoly. We're guessing that Silver knows
| Microsoft's products well and has direct involvement with the
| company.
|
| And, sure enough, he appears a number of times on Microsoft's
| own site and thousands of times in stories about Microsoft.
|
| Jim Murphy - wait for it - covers Microsoft too and is even more
| prolific than Silver.
|
| [...]
|
| Part of the problem stems from the reticence of companies such as
| IDC and Gartner to reveal their clients. That should make everyone
| nervous, but it doesn't. So called objective technology publications
| keep publishing material bought by vendors without telling you this.
| They're also too lazy or scared to ignore the likes of Gartner and
| IDC until the firms change their disclosure rules.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

Buy Vista or die

,----[ Quote ]
| Gartner research vice president Michael Silver said that outfits have delayed
|                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| their Vista migrations to the point of stupidity and now some are considering
| late 2008 or even 2009, while others mull skipping the OS completely.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/07/vista-die

Other Underreported Stories: Analyst Integrity?

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a pretty interesting discussion with views on both sides. Some felt
| that the rumors have been so persistent that, well, where there's smoke
| there's fire. Others saying they have heard from someone who heard from
| someone that once they started paying their exposure improved. Others saying
| it's just like the rumors that magazine advertisers get better reviews, an
| accusation that has been levied to Ziff-Davis publications, as well as
| photography and stereo equipment magazines for years.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/12/other_underrepo.html?source=rss

Credibility Of Analysts

`----