[News] A Look at MythTV for Debian GNU/Linux

mythtv: A personal TV recorder

,----[ Quot ]
| No one likes to sit at home and wait for their favorite show to come on
| anymore and many have turned to buying hardware to record them for later
| viewing. Popular solutions to this problem include the expensive and
| proprietary TiVo and cable/satellite boxes with built-in TV recorders.
`----

http://debaday.debian.net/2008/09/14/mythtv-a-personal-tv-recorder/

Recent:

Building a glossier front end for MythTV

,----[ Quote ]
| Josh Stewart loves MythTV -- so much so that he is building his own front-end
| app for it as a drop-in replacement for MythTV's default. The replacement is
| called Gloss, and although it isn't ready for prime time yet (no pun
| intended), its OpenGL effects and GStreamer bindings show plenty of promise.
|
| [...]
|
| Gloss is the result. It is built on top of the Clutter user interface
| framework, which uses OpenGL for 2-D rendering. That permits Gloss to use
| OpenGL-accelerated operations to draw menu and interface elements, perform
| transitions, and even manipulate video as a UI element. The current
| MythFrontend uses static images for icons, backgrounds, and other graphics,
| and can play -- but not arbitrarily transform -- video output.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/135096

Related:

Ex-MS security guru to dump Media Center for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Veteran Microsoft security expert, Jesper Johansson, says he may dump
| Microsoft's Windows Media Center in favour of Ubuntu-affiliated LinuxMCE
| after struggling with Redmond's DRM (Digital Rights Management) software.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Ex-MS-security-guru-dumps-Media-Center-for-Linux/0,130061733,339282399,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/34as9b

LinuxMCE 0704 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| "LinuxMCE 0704 is a major improvement over the original 1.0 release.
| According to a poll, 86% now report LinuxMCE installs and starts up without
| problems, versus 27% with the original release.
`----

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Software/LinuxMCE-0704-Released.html

MythTV vs. Vista MCE: First Impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| First, I suppose I need to start with a disclaimer before discussing
| the relative merits of MythTV and Vista MCE as I've experienced them
| over the past month.
`----

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855576

The various levels of suckage - Windows MCE

,----[ Quote ]
| I also worked for a company which designed dedicated media center
| machines. Slick looking boxes for under the tv action. drool. Around
| 20000 sold, and counting. So that means I have a very valid opinion.
|
| My son has a mce machine in his room, I have one in the lounge, and my
| car is running mce. I also got my brother and sister set up with mce.
| So now I have a very very very valid opinion.
|
| That means you have to sit and listen while I moan, because I am not
| moaning due to having a bad day. I am moaning due to this piece of
| crap microsoft is trying to tout to all and sundry. Yes, I have
| given it a good innings, more than most would attempt, and I still
| use it for lack of anything else wife friendly. That doesnt make
| it good.
`----

http://mynutsandi.blogspot.com/2007/05/various-levels-of-suckage-windows-mce.html

Pre-build MythTV Linux PVR eats Windows MCE for breakfast

,----[ Quote ]
| Basically this is an unpack-and-plug-in solution to your media
| streaming/live TV pausing/scheduled recording needs.  Yes, you
| could build your own Linux box and install MythTV, but this saves
| you all the effort, is cheaper than a Windows Media Centre and
| gives you access to a vast range of fan-programmed add-ons.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/pre-build-mythtv-linux-pvr-eats-windows-mce-for-breakfast-152985.php

Linux as a Media Centre

,----[ Quote ]