Re: X11 multi-head displays - nothing new - Re: Multi-head Displays with GNU/Linux (Try *That* with Win32/OS X)

On 2008-09-12, Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sep 12, 10:51 pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_n_st...@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> > Support of multiple display screens is nothing new to X11 (the display
>> > system used on Linux desktops as well as most Unix desktops).
>>
>> Of course they are not new.
>>
>> Now actually getting them to WORK without a degree in CS, now that would be
>> new.
>
> Actually, it's not all that hard.  Several of the Window managers
> including Open Look Virtual Window Manager, and Motif provide the
> ability to "map" various displays as a single "desktop", it's the
> inverse of the virtual desktop.  You can even move you mouse across

    This capability and the ubiquity of high resolution 19" monitors
has pushed X into different directions from Windows. OTOH, back when
Unix workstations all had 19" monitors, Windows couldn't do multiple
monitors either.

    Mebbe if these cheap bastards had at least one decent monitor,
they would not need 2.

> all the screens as if they were all one desktop.  Open Motif also
> shares this capability.
[deletia]

--
                                    My macintosh runs Ubuntu.        |||