Re: X11 multi-head displays - nothing new - Re: Multi-head Displays with GNU/Linux (Try *That* with Win32/OS X)

On 2008-09-12, Tom Shelton <tom_shelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2008-09-12, JEDIDIAH <jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 2008-09-12, Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Actually, it's not all that hard.  Several of the Window managers
>>> including Open Look Virtual Window Manager, and Motif provide the
>>> ability to "map" various displays as a single "desktop", it's the
>>> inverse of the virtual desktop.  You can even move you mouse across
>>
>>     This capability and the ubiquity of high resolution 19" monitors
>> has pushed X into different directions from Windows.
>
> In what way?  The fact that I just plug them in and work on windows?  Or that

     X didn't have to cater to low resolution displays.

> my year old 19" widescreen lcd monitor isn't properly configured under
> kubuntu.  To get it to work at 1440x900, I had to boot a knopix cd and then
> figure out what was screwed up in xorg.config

    Never had that problem. Debian and Ubuntu both tend to default to the
native resolution of the panel if the driver supports it. Seen this work
for LCD panels, laptops and HDTVs.

>> OTOH, back when
>> Unix workstations all had 19" monitors, Windows couldn't do multiple
>> monitors either.
>>

> Could be - but back then 19" inch monitors were hella expensive.
>
>>     Mebbe if these cheap bastards had at least one decent monitor,
>> they would not need 2.
>>

> Cheep?  Are you kidding?  I use multiple monitors because it enhances my
> productivity.

    Suuuure...

[deletia]

--
NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club!                           |||
                                                                   / | \