Re: "Bad Guys," "People who lie and lie and lie"

On Sep 12, 5:50 am, High Plains Thumper
<highplainsthum...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > (Thurrot, re Apple-Microsoft ad wars)
>
> > <Quote> [snip] Minnesota Attorney General Mike Hatch called
> > Microsoft’s astroturf campaign “sleazy,” saying, “This is not
> > a company that appears to be bothered by ethical boundaries.”
> > </Quote>
>
> >http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/09/08/paul-thurrott-calls-apple-%e...
>
> No boundaries like?:
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2005/07/14/microsofts-law...
>
> orhttp://tinyurl.com/59wley
>
> [quote]
> Microsoft's lawsuit payouts amount to around $9 billion
> Updated Twice the GDP of Cambodia
> By Désiré Athow: Thursday, 14 July 2005, 2:35 PM
> * UPDATE Additional material at the end of this article.
>
> MICROSOFT HAS had a long, a very long history of litigation,
> court orders, patent infringements and antitrust lawsuits against
> it since the very beginning of its history. We;ve managed to draw
> up a partial list of these.
>
> The surprising thing is not only the number of those lawsuits
> against Microsoft - at one time, it had more than 130 pending -
> but more importantly, the sheer amount of money it represents.
>
> The Redmond giant has been ordered to pay nearly $9 billion, a
> figure which is set to rise with some lawsuits still to be ruled on.
>
> [.... Table below rearranged according to award amount, header added]
>
> Award Amount    Plaintiff
> --------------  ------------------
> $1,950,000,000  Sun
> $1,100,000,000  California
> $850,000,000    IBM
> $750,000,000    AOL
> $613,000,000    EU
> $536,000,000    Novell
> $521,000,000    Eolas
> $500,000,000    DR DOS/Caldera
> $440,000,000    Intertrust
> $250,000,000    Apple
> $240,000,000    Minnesota
> $202,000,000    Florida
> $150,000,000    Gateway
> $104,600,000    Arizona
> $96,000,000     Perma Temps
> $89,000,000     North Carolina
> $83,000,000     Stac
> $64,000,000     Tennessee
> $62,000,000     SPX
> $60,000,000     Burst
> $35,000,000     Immersion
> $34,000,000     Massachusett
> $32,000,000     Kansas
> $23,250,000     Be
> $22,600,000     Nebraska state
> $12,300,000     Montana
> $10,500,000     Maryland
> $10,500,000     Private (5)
> $9,700,000      Vermont
> $9,330,000      South Dakota
> $9,000,000      Employee fired (3)
> $9,000,000      North Dakota
> $8,960,000      Carlos Armando (1)
> $8,600,000      Daum (4)
> $6,200,000      Columbia
> $4,100,000      Bristol
> $3,150,000      New Mexico
> $2,000,000      Iowa
> Undisclosed     Alacritech
> Undisclosed     AT&T
> [...]

Was it Tim recently who implied that IBM, Apple, Cisco and who knows
else are just as bad as Microsoft?  It was just too tedious to reply
to this, and besides, he knows better.    "We all sin, so the devil is
not so bad," is the logic, so convenient for Microsoft.

Microsoft may be no worse than Standard Oil was in the 1880s.  I don't
know the history well enough to say.  But the monopolies of that era
led to bad associations in the minds of the public with monopolies,
and also to reforms (Sherman anti-trust, etc).   We'll see if there
are any reforms in the works in the technical field.  Probably the
best you could hope for in the US in the next 20 years would be patent
reform (like abolishment of software patents), and some consumer
friendly legislation regarding ISPs  and Telcos.  And some increased
action by the EU against Microsoft lock-in efforts.   And the best you
could hope for is usually not what you get.   Right now competitors
(mainly Apple and Google) are doing a good job of chipping at
Microsoft's monopoly, forcing them to compete on the merits of their
product (where they don't do so well).  Meanwhile, Microsoft is
helping its competitors by continuing to rely on the same old tactics
of lock-in, embrace, extend, extinguish.  As for FOSS, what's
remarkable to me in the last couple of years is the huge increase in
awareness of FOSS in minds of the public, media, legislators,
commentators, etc.

Of course the dollar amounts above are rather small compared to
Microsoft's profits.  It's just the cost of doing "business" for
them.

You know they say robbing a bank is about the stupidest way of making
money.  You get maybe $10,000 if you're lucky (hard to carry away more
than that), with a high probability of being caught.  To be a
successful thief, you have to think much, much bigger.