[News] The Meaning of Free Software and Its Importance

The Real Reason to Celebrate GNU's Birthday

,----[ Quote ]
| One of Stallman's many insights was that science flourished because it was
| based on sharing discoveries so that others could build on them, without
| needing to re-invent the wheel.
|
| The closing of software meant that it was impossible to do this, since the
| last thing that corporate owners of that code wanted to do was to make it
| freely available. Stallman's idea was to create a movement that would
| contribute code to the computing community just as scientists contribute
| knowledge.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1252&blogid=14

GNU: the revolution turns 25

,----[ Quote ]
| The torrent of coverage that such a momentous event should generate has not
| been seen. That's because the so-called open source movement rules the roost
| these days - and is anxious that people should forget their roots.
|
| People often attribute their dislike of free software to the founder of the
| GNU project, Richard Stallman, and his uncompromising attitude towards many
| things. In the early days of the GNU project, Stallman antagonised quite a
| few free software hackers by his management of the development of GNU Emacs.
|
| Stallman has also been criticised for politicising the free software movement
| by insisting that the distribution terms for GNU software be such that people
| cannot add restrictions of their own.
|
| But those who criticise him on these counts are woefully short-sighted; the
| truth of the matter is that without a person like Stallman who was prepared
| to go out on a limb for a cause, we would all be using proprietary operating
| systems today.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20601/1090/

Recent:

GNU is 25 by Matt Lee

,----[ Quote ]
| After some difficult developmental years, this September marks the 25th
| birthday of GNU, and we're going to be celebrating in style.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/bulletin/2008/spring/gnu-is-25/

Freedom Fry — "Happy birthday to GNU"

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Stephen Fry introduces you to free software, and reminds you of a very
| special birthday.
`----

http://www.gnu.org/fry/happy-birthday-to-gnu.html

Stephen Fry punts free software