Re: Vista Called a Pig, Microsoft Advertises Windows Using UNIX

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> Richard Rasker <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> < snip >
>
>>> So the result is that you still can comfortably run a full-fledged KDE
>>> distribution such as Mandriva in 256 MB of RAM -- and if you don't
>>> mind it
>>
>> Rubbish. 256 Megs crawls with KDE.
>
> No. *That* is rubbish
> KDE will be slow with 128 MB. With 256MB it will run fine
>
>>> being a bit sluggish, even 128 MB will do. If you resort to using a
>>> lightweight window manager, you can make do with as little as 64 MB --
>>> although then you'd better steer clear of the heavyweight apps such as
>>> OO.o.
>>
>> Get a grip ffs.
>>
>>> Right now, my Mandriva 2008.1 desktop uses 180 MB of RAM in total, with
>>> KNode and Firefox open. And oh, the CPU is 98% idle. Even with
>>> OpenOffice,
>>
>> Of course it is. Its not doing anything until you click on a link. What
>> would you expect?!?!?!
>
> Look at a "idle" Vista next, will you?

Most Vista installations I've seen have a CPU usage between 10 and 20% when
the user isn't doing anything at all. The best score I recall was 5% CPU
usage in idle mode -- and that was with a rather savvy user, who spent
hours tuning his box, uninstalling numerous preinstalled craplets, tossing
most things out of the system tray and disabling most of Vista's
"feechures". Most ordinary users, though, haven't the faintest idea how to
tweak their machine, and simply put up with all the crap thrown at them by
Microsoft, the OEM and other parties with a commercial interest. I've seen
people clicking their way through at least half a dozen icons, splash
screens, messages and warnings right after *every* (dog slow) boot. Using
Windows sure requires a thick skin, and lots of patience and perseverence.

BTW our Vista tweaker now runs XP again -- although he says he'll migrate to
Linux as soon as there are Linux versions of SolidWorks and AutoCAD.

Richard Rasker
--
http://www.linetec.nl