Re: [News] The Need to Comprise Short-term Convenience for Freedom

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Let's Move FOSS to Its Logical Conclusion

,----[ Quote ]
| The most obvious trouble with these viewpoints is that they are | short-sighted, even in their own terms. The idea that focusing on quality and | ignoring licenses is the best policy is disproved by the well-known story of | how Linus Torvalds chose BitKeeper, and pieces of proprietary versioning | software for kernel development, only to have to scramble for a replacement | when the free version suddenly became unavailable. The same vulnerability is | present in software that is simply gratis. The fact that a change in license | hasn't happened yet with a particular piece of software is no guarantee that | it won't.

I can't say I understand all the licensing issues surrounding Qt, but I find the dual approach to be troubling. My guess is that the FUD about Qt's licensing is a big hindrance to progress in building cross-platform apps---probably one of the biggest such hindrances. It seems like such a tragedy mainly because Qt is supposed to be the best-designed package for making cross-platform GUIs. Nokia claims they want "Qt everywhere", but I think the best way to make that happen would be to introduce the possibility to fork Qt.

`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3773286/Lets+Move+FOSS+to+Its+Logical+Conclusion.htm