[News] Simon Phipps Explains Free Software

You'll get closer to the source

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr Phipps does see a push towards open source. "It's a response to the shift
| in society caused by the internet. It's a shift away from centralised
| control."
|
| But developing applications, whether open source or not, can still be a rocky
| road. MrPhipps has learnt that over planning isn't a good thing.
`----

http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/biztech/case-studies--profiles/youll-get-closer-to-the-source/2008/09/22/1221935545765.html
http://tinyurl.com/5xwmgu

Recent:

Community Roles

,----[ Quote ]
|  These are:
|
|     * Originators (originating co-developers) - people who co-develop a
|       particular Free software commons using open source licenses and norms;
|     * Extenders (extending co-developers) - people who co-develop software
|       that
|       builds on or aggregates the work of Originators, for example making
|       extensions, plug-ins, localisations and distributions;
|     * Deployer-developers - people who take the work of Initiators and
|       Extenders and configure and customise them for deployment;
|     * Users - people who use - and often pay for - the work of
|       Deployer-developers and put it to productive use.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/community_roles

Interview with Simon Phipps

,----[ Quote ]
| Phipps: I think that there is a huge overlap in those worlds. One
| of the interesting things you discover when you run an OpenSolaris
| distribution like Nexenta is, my goodness, it looks just like Ubuntu.
| And you know, there's a really good reason for that: because it is
| Ubuntu, but it's got a Solaris kernel in it.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9624

Related:

Will Sun Use GPLv3?