Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:

> But would add one thing: the deciding factor on which products are
> successful is, and should always be, the demand for it.

The law of supply and demand is pretty much the definition of a Free
Market. Interfere with that natural balance by facilitating monopolies,
where demand is inconsequential since there is no choice, and that
market is no longer Free. That is not democracy, it's the first stage of
corporatism. The second stage is where those monopolies dictate law.
With all-powerful corporate lobbying groups coercing government to
revoke our basic rights (ostensibly because of "terrorism", but in
reality for the sake of "Intellectual Property"), we've obviously
already reached that second stage ... some time ago. The "West" is now
little more than a single corporate super-state. Witness travesties such
as Phorm; the DMCA; ACTA and a slew of other violations of our rights,
all designed solely to benefit corporations, in direct contradiction to
the will of the people whom the government is supposed to represent.

> "...Established companies have an interest in excluding future
> competitors." - Bill Gates, 1991.
>
> Hardon Quick or Bill Gates? Who understands the software industry
> patent landscape better? Place yer votes!

Gates isn't describing a software business, he's describing a
racketeering operation. He could be selling insurance for all the
difference it makes - he's only interested in one thing, and it's not
software.

Ballmer is a more honest representation of Microsoft; a used-car
salesman in a cheesy suit, performing an even cheesier vaudeville act in
a desperate attempt to make a rusty Buick seem like a Rolls Royce.

Not that he needs to worry about making the sale, as his gang of thugs
has made sure he's the only dealer in town, but the charade keeps the
customers so mesmerised that they don't question the rust, otherwise
they might start considering the only other alternative of building
their own cars. Even then, Ballmer has a plan "B", which is to patent
ever aspect of a car, so no one can build their own without having to
pay him a fee anyway. Of course he didn't /actually/ invent the car, nor
any of it's components - he just got his goons to muscle-in on those who
/did/, or failing that, lie and pretend it was his idea anyway.
Naturally the law doesn't intervene, since they're on the payroll.

It's quite a racket, isn't it?

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player,
| That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
| And then is heard no more. It is a tale
| Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
| Signifying nothing." ~ Shakespeare

 23:59:39 up 37 days, 21:12,  5 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.49, 0.55