Re: Web Sites Concerned About Microsoft's CEO Erratic Behaviour

Here's some of the comments:

Damn, , he makes me hate Windows. I want Bill back.

Ballmer is a scary man. But he makes me want to go smash up an Apple
store.

someone hold me please.

Damn he's scary. He runs Microsoft now huh?...

Yea, same for me. Ballmer is scary.

These ads blow chunks.

Also I'd love microsoft too if it made me a m/billionaire(whatever he
is).

And Ballmer always reminds me of a mad Uncle Fester...

So the company is run by a raving lunatic?

Connectedness Index: 0

I really do think that Ballmer does drugs.

yep, that did it. I'm burning all my copies of windows and buying a
Mac.

When John Hodgman says "I'm a PC", he is actually playing a PC not a
person who uses a PC. Microsoft too thick to see that distinction?

In which way does a customer want Microsoft-products MORE by watching
this clip? :|

In the back of his mind, Steve is thinking, "Man, I should have used
Preperation H wipes!"

Shit. Just when it looks like MS is taking a step forward, this guy
puts them five steps back.

Funny how WHG III had to come out of retirement to save his company.
Good thing Ballmer wasn't in the ads. They may need a likeable CEO.

They never were taking a step forward.

They should just produce a remake of that old Windows 1.0 commercials
with Steve Ballmer.

People, don't give your money to this man.

i think its 2 fps because it wasnt a video, just a bunch of stills
taken one after the other. I watched it and looked at activity monitor
on my mac pro and it wasnt using any resources so I guess its just a
bunch of still pictures.

Ballmer reminds me of my uncle when he's drunk except he doesn't scare
the crap out of me.

You are so right. I've got a hanerkin' to go drive out to the local
apple store and just trash it.

I used to just fear clowns. Now . . . he'll haunt my nightmares.

Jeez, what an ass deusche.

Yeah, they probably used chopped up audio, too: I AM (cooking bacon
inside) a PC and I (would) LOVE (to eat) THIS COMPANY (with a side of
mashed potatoes, followed by the sound of Steve Ballmer choking on his
own tongue.)

I'm Steve Ballmer and I EAT KITTENS!

Why is it he always reminds me of a used car salesman?

(after this post, so much for ever working at MS)

I find this suspect. I'm guessing someone found a good voice double
and used a few stills from an old video.

He was actually pretty hilarious in the Windows 1.0 commercial. But
now, yeah, scary. What happened to that zany by lovable guy from the
old commercial? My guess, eaten by an alien who now inhabits Ballmer's
body.

Wow ballmer hasn't changed much in 25 years. He was bald and
overbearing back then too.

You ever notice how McDonald's and Coke never, ever mention any of
their competition in their ads?

They do that because they believe that the strongest way to continue
to build their brand is to say:

"Hey, we're #1. We own this soft-drink game. We're the best. We're not
concerned with what our competition says about us because, we're the
best.

The things that make us the best are the things that you like as well.

You're drinking, eating, wearing the best when you patronize us."

It's like being the Queen of England. Do you come out from the castle
and raise a stink when the Sex Pistols mess with your photo?

Of course not. Why? Because you're the goddamn Queen. You're better
than that, you're an institution.

Does that mean that the Sex Pistols won't get a lot of mileage out of
messing with your image?

Well, that's what they're hoping for. That's why they're messing with
an institution - it get's you noticed. Bully for them.

But if the institution fires back and is all bitchy and irritated, it
ends up knocking itself down a notch.

Worse, it enforces it's adversary's argument & runs the risk of
getting itself mired in a friggin' conversation with these two-bit
nobodies who are attacking it.

Point being, Apple can easily co-opt this Microsoft campaign into it's
own, existing campaign. Doing so would create a conversation where
Apple would automatically have the higher ground.

Microsoft, with this campaign, is saying to me:

"We're really mad/irritated/annoyed with how Apple is making us look &
that hurts our feelings and that's not how we are and, DAMNIT, we're
really MAD and why don't they just stop with those ads? We're cool
too!"

It's hack advertising & if anything is lending MORE credence and
authority to the Apple campaign.

I predict this whole campaign will morph into a:

"Here's a cool person using Windows to get cool stuff done. She's
using it because it's the best tool for her success"

Which is a fine message that any creative director worth her salt
could run with.

In fact, here's a tag line for this campaign:

Windows. Get it done.

They should have gone with something like that from the get-go and
skipped the whole "I'm a PC" thing and completely ignored any
reference to Apple. It's only going to bite them on the ass.

My $.02

And lots more.