[News] Microsoft's Market in Web Servers Claimed Less Than 20%

Web snooping with Netcraft - Microsoft Hosts

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently in both cases, Microsoft offered to the customer "twice the
| quantity of servers (that normally would be needed in a RedHat/Apache
| implementation), and twice as many systems admins with full redundant
| service, "all at Microsoft's expense". The aim was to publicly
| show "reliability, scalability" of Microsoft technology as compared to the
| more established and respected competition.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-04-11-001-35-OS-NT-0004

I used track Netcraft religiously, until ... ( Apr 11, 2009, 02:21:52 )

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-04-11-001-35-OS-NT-0000

I used track Netcraft religiously, until ...

,----[ Quote ]
| I had the same experience as you, GreyGeek. When I found out that Netcraft
| lost its objectivity (even its appearance of objectivity), and started
| rigging the numbers in late 2005 to make Microsoft's net presence look better
| than it actually was, I lost all respect for Netcraft's web survey.
|
| Respect for Netcraft is so low now that it might as well just start reporting
| IIS as having 100% market share across the board. It wouldn't change anyone's
| opinion of Netcraft, so no harm could come from it. The only difference is
| that Netcraft could stop pretending it isn't an industry joke.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-04-11-001-35-OS-NT-0005

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox’s store before I did and took
the TV doesn’t mean I can’t go in later and steal the stereo."

                                --Bill Gates, Microsoft

Related:

Open Source Fights Back

,----[ Quote ]