Re: [News] Microsoft's Market in Web Servers Claimed Less Than 20%

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Web snooping with Netcraft - Microsoft Hosts
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Apparently in both cases, Microsoft offered to the customer "twice the
> | quantity of servers (that normally would be needed in a RedHat/Apache
> | implementation), and twice as many systems admins with full redundant
> | service, "all at Microsoft's expense". The aim was to publicly
> | show "reliability, scalability" of Microsoft technology as compared to
> | the more established and respected competition.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxtoday.com
news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-04-11-001-35-OS-NT-0004

> I used track Netcraft religiously, until ... ( Apr 11, 2009, 02:21:52 )
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | the GoDaddy, Google and other Netcraft debacles in the Spring of 2005
> | and later revealed that Netcraft does everything it can to twist the
> | data in such a way that it increases Microsoft's webserver percentages
> | and decreases FOSS's. With that twisting they have been able to make
> | their "reporting" APPEAR that Apache's server share has dropped from
> | over 70% to 46%, while Microsoft's has risen from under 20% to nearly
> | 30%.
> |
> | Deep down in their web site Netcraft concedes that in current "heavily
> | used" websites Apache runs 66% while Microsoft runs only 18%. (See
> | below!) In other words, for example, Netcraft counts the HUGE number of
> | idle Microsoft servers that GoDaddy PARKS, while NOT counting ALL the
> | web servers in Google's ACTIVE Linux server farm. Their logic for this
> | hypocrisy is mind numbing. They use other similar "metrics" to extend
> | the same distortions.
> |
> | By comparison, another site which tracks web server market share is
> | SecuritySpace:
> | http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/200903/ index.html
> | which shows Apache's current share at 71% and Microsoft's is at 17%.
> | From a dropdown combobox on the same page you can query various domains
> | and countries to see how FOSS and MS compare in percentages. For
> | example, France is 89% FOSS and 8% MS.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxtoday.com
news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-04-11-001-35-OS-NT-0000

Micoshaft products in the server room are fast becoming
a dangerous investment.

The business case for supporting micoshaft products is fast becoming a joke.