[News] Financial Services Love GNU/Linux

Cost Replacing Functionality as Linux's Appeal

,----[ Quote ]
| With a shrinking server market, financial services firms are porting more
| applications to Linux at the expense of Unix and other legacy platforms.
| While that has been an ongoing trend for many years, the motive has shifted
| in the past year from adding new functionality to reducing cost. That was the
| consensus at Monday's annual Linux on Wall Street conference in New York.
|
| "The global financial crisis has changed business priorities," said Inna
| Kuznetsova, IBM's director of Linux strategy, during a keynote panel
| discussion. "People are less focused on adding functionality and more focused
| on cost reduction."
`----

http://entmag.com/news/article.aspx?editorialsid=10753

Recent:

Hard Times May Boost Linux in Financial Services

,----[ Quote ]
| Today Linux is the go-to operating system for high performance computing,
| while it continues to extend its footprint in the broader IT community. In
| the financial services arena, in particular, Linux is being seen as a
| critical technology for increasing ROI.
|
| On Monday, at the High Performance Linux on Wall Street conference in New
| York, Inna Kuznetsova, director of IBM's Linux Strategy, led a panel that
| discussed how Linux can be used to reduce costs and improve performance in
| these economically challenging times. We recently got the opportunity to ask
| Kuznetsova about the increasing profile of Linux for IBM customers and how
| the technology is enabling them to realize cost savings.
`----

http://www.hpcwire.com/features/Hard-Times-May-Boost-Linux-Financial-Services-Linux-42550257.html

Morgan Stanley Growing Its Use of Linux

,----[ Quote ]