[News] Emergsoft Revolutionises Free Software Package Deployment/Management

New Approach to Open Source Application Deployment

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source application deployment has come a long way.  Currently, there is
| excellent way for Linux distributions to install and update its software.
| For example, both Fedora and Debian based distribution has RPM / DEB package
| management systems with its associated tools YUM / APT.  This simplifies Open
| Source application deployment and update with easy to use tools.
|
| However, we would like to raise two issues for discussion:
|
|    1. In order to create a RPM / DEB package, you will need to learn and
|    understand how to build and maintain these package systems.  You need to
|    understand spec / control files; how scripts interact with packages.  They
|    are not hard to learn, but there is a learning curve.
|    2. The current ways of asking users to specify parameters are not
|    re-usable.  A package maintainer can use script and command line to query
|    user input, but that requires hard coding the questions inside the
|    package.  Debian has the debconf templating system, which provides a
|    centralized location to store question templates, default values, and
|    variables.  This again require learning the debconf system - not difficult
|    to do - but there is a learning curve.
`----

http://www.emergsoft.com/index.php/blog/43-emergence-software-blog/69-new-approach-to-open-source-application-deployment

Recent:

NixOS: A Distro Focused on Next-Generation Package Management

,----[ Quote ]
| NixOS is not about to challenge Ubuntu or Fedora as a desktop distribution
| any time soon. But, then, user-friendliness is not its point. Originally
| developed by Eelco Dolstra as a doctoral project at Utrecht University, and
| now developed by a small team at Delft University of Technology in the
| Netherlands, NixOS is designed as a test of Nix, a new package manager
| designed to overcome key problems with existing package managers. As a
| result, what you think of NixOS is likely to depend largely on your interest
| in package management.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6654/1/

Sun Enhancements to OpenSolaris Take Aim at Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems’ OpenSolaris 2008.11 includes improvements around software
| package management and incorporating community packaging efforts. The updates
| to the free Solaris-based OS shows that Sun will not follow IBM and HP in
| letting Linux take over the platform space once dominated by Unix.
|
| OpenSolaris 2008.11, the second major release of Sun Microsystems’
| freely-licensed, Solaris-based operating system, hit the Web late last year
| packed with feature enhancements that illustrate that Sun isn't about to cede
| the platform stage to Linux, as brothers-in-Unix such as IBM's AIX and
| Hewlett-Packard’s  HP-UX have done.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Sun-Enhancements-to-OpenSolaris-Take-Aim-at-Linux/

Package management

,----[ Quote ]
| Those are some of the package managers out there. I hope you can see the
| differences between them after reading this. The early package managers were
| collections of simple install, remove and update routines. While APT was
| eventually developed to be very feature-rich, third-party package managers
| for Slackware Linux are mostly simple programs that add dependency resolution
| and one or two other features. RPM was an evolution of the package manager
| closer to a complete package management system. It added features like
| dependency checking, tracking, automatic installation and checksum
| verification.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080630#feature

Do we really need another packaging system?

,----[ Quote ]
| The reality of the situation is that the differences between distros gives
| people a chance to innovate more with how a Linux system works. Trying to
| funnel everything down through some common layer at the bottom really reduces
| the chances for big innovation to happen.
`----

http://loupgaroublond.blogspot.com/2008/06/do-we-really-need-another-packaging.html
http://tinyurl.com/5rkf8h

Related: