Re: [News] Patents Keep Dying in the US, Interview with Mark Webbink

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 03:00:00 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | As I noted at the time it was decided, people care about Bilski largely
> | because of what it says about legality of software patents. Software patents
> | are intensely controversial, with many geeks arguing that the software
> | industry would be better off without them. What I found striking about the
> | conversation was that both guests (and perhaps the host, although he didn't
> | tip his hand as much) took it as self-evident that there needed to be
> | patents on software and business methods
> `----
>
> http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/tblee/supreme-court-and-software-patents

No such website, mate. Browser just spins. I pinged it, 0% packet loss and
a quick turnaround. So there is a host with that name. But it does not
appear to be a web server, since it ignores all http traffic.

Actually, it's very interesting that it /ignores/ rather than /rejects/
all http traffic. Maybe the machine there is using a so-called "stealth"
firewall. Although I can't imagine why. Those are normally used on
workstations nobody wants recruited into someone's botnet, not servers.
Mainly WINDOWS workstations at that.

Then again, maybe the machine that domain name's resolving to isn't even a
server.

Which leads to the observation that it is also very strange to use a
"www.foo.bar" hostname on a non-webserver box. Doubly so if it's a
workstation instead of a server of /any/ kind.

Strangest of all, though, is for someone to post to usenet the url of an
html file supposedly served by that workstation.

Yet clearly it's not a webserver, even one with the hiccups. I tested that
link (and also its root url http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/) on and off
for the last 24 hours and that machine's behavior has been absolutely
consistent. It isn't a webserver that's down -- it's either a webserver
that's dee eee aye dee DEAD, finito, kaput, an ex-webserver, shuffled off
its mortal coil, /not/ pining for the fjords, no, it's effing snuffed it,
or it's one that hasn't gone live yet, or it's not a webserver at all.

Perhaps the OP knows more though?

--
blue indigo
UA Telecom since 1987