[News] Patents Keep Dying in the US, Interview with Mark Webbink

The Supreme Court and Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| As I noted at the time it was decided, people care about Bilski largely
| because of what it says about legality of software patents. Software patents
| are intensely controversial, with many geeks arguing that the software
| industry would be better off without them. What I found striking about the
| conversation was that both guests (and perhaps the host, although he didn't
| tip his hand as much) took it as self-evident that there needed to be patents
| on software and business methods
`----

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/tblee/supreme-court-and-software-patents

Finnegan Files Petition for a Writ of Certiorari in U.S. Supreme Court in
Bilski Case

http://www.finnegan.com/finneganfilespetitionforawritofcertiorariinussupremecourtinbilskicase/

Bilski at the Supreme Court

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2009/01/bilski-at-the-supreme-court.html

Seven Questions with Post-Issue Peer to Patent Project Director Mark Webbink

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier, the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) opened the
| patent examination process for online public participation. With the consent
| of the inventor, the Peer-to-Patent: Community Patent Review pilot, developed
| by the New York Law School Institute for Information Law and Policy in
| cooperation with the USPTO, enables the public to submit prior art and
| commentary relevant to the claims of pending patent applications in Computer
| Architecture, Software, and Information Security (TC2100).
`----

http://www.patentbaristas.com/archives/2009/01/29/seven-questions-with-post-issue-peer-to-patent-project-director-mark-webbink/

Related:

Mark Webbink On: Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| This week Mark Webbink, former Red Hat General Counsel discusses software
| patents, their absurdity and the business climate and “judicial activism”
| that helped create them.
`----

http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.com/2007/10/19/mark-webbink-on-software-patents/

Draft European Interoperability Framework v 2.0: Your comments needed

,----[ Quote ]
| In my opinion, it is very important that Europeans who are interested in open
| standards and interoperability look at, comment, and, if appropriate, express
| their support for this draft or portions thereof.
|
| Through the grapevine I have heard that the usual suspects who oppose open
| standards and support the “buy all your products from a single vendor and use
| the specifications they dictate” philosophy of interoperability plan to come
| out against portions of this draft.
|
| Do not let their voices drown out yours if this is important to you. You have
| a little bit more than two months in which to comment. Encourage others to do
| so as well.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=2413

Peer to Patent Project Extended and Expanded - Mark Webbink Exec. Dir. of New
Center

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm very happy to tell you that it's just been announced that the
| Peer-to-Patent project, which is a cooperative project between New York Law
| School and the USPTO, has been extended after the first year's trial. It's
| also been expanded to include business methods patents! Yum. I can't wait to
| see you try to invalidate some of those.

Patent Sanity
By Mark H. Webbink

,----[ Quote ]
`----