[News] Old PCs Destined to Good Modern GNU/Linux

Having Good Functional Running Old PC's

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot of us have old PCs stuck in the corners of classrooms, machines we just
| can’t afford to replace and whose owners just can’t do without. At the same
| time, a lot of us are acquiring netbooks and inexpensive hardware instead of
| investing in the latest and greatest “Vista-capable” computers. Normally for
| FOSS people like me its a YEHEY think to put in Linux in those running Boxes.
`----

http://lamundofloss.blogspot.com/2009/02/having-good-functional-running-old-pcs.html

Creating a Linux Distribution for the Common User

,----[ Quote ]
| In the end, we settled on CentOS, which is directly derived from RedHat's
| Enterprise Linux (RHEL). We note Scientific Linux is another good choice, but
| we were more familiar with CentOS. Every derivative of RHEL is well supported
| by a handful of third-party repositories.
`----

http://www.ofb.biz/safari/article/521.html

Recent:

Hands on: Revive an old PC with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| So what about computers more than just a few years old? Reader Graham Steel
| wrote to ask about his computer. He said: “I have an old IBM Thinkpad
| installed with Windows 98 and incapable of running newer versions of Windows,
| with just 96MB of Ram and a Pentium II CPU.
|
| "I investigated live editions of Linux and decided on Damn Small Linux. I was
| very pleased it recognised the PCMCIA network card and everything was up and
| running straight away.”
`----

http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2227715/lease-life-4149236

Related:

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

British PC users fail to recycle PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| The online research was carried out by TNS of 1,050 adults over a two day
| period in February. It found that a staggering 12.5 million unwanted PCs or
| laptops have not been re-used or recycled by their owners over the past five
| years.
|
| [...]
|
| The new findings also indicate a worrying level of apathy among the
| population with many people making no attempt to recycle their unwanted IT
| hardware. Over 1 million people said they had dumped their computer or laptop
| in their household rubbish (4 percent) or fly tipped it in the countryside (1
| percent).
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=11692

Helping the Needy Get Nerdy