[News] Apple's Patent Terrorism Against Linux Device Does It More Harm Than Good

  • Subject: [News] Apple's Patent Terrorism Against Linux Device Does It More Harm Than Good
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:19:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Analyst Says What We Already Knew: Apple's Multi-Touch Patent Fight Won't Help
Its Business

,----[ Quote ]
| After Palm showed off its new Pre smartphone, including the device's
| multitouch interface, at the Consumer Electronics Show last month, Apple made
| some threatening noises about how it would go after anybody who "ripped off"
| its intellectual property. As always, we didn't see how this would benefit
| anybody in the marketplace, since competition pays benefits to consumers, and
| drives participants, even Apple, to continually innovate and improve their
| products. Now, a wireless industry analyst has called Apple's threats into
| question. He makes the point that a long, drawn out IP fight won't help
| Apple's business in the long run: "Building on the company's legacy as one of
| the greatest innovators in the technology industry may be a smarter business
| model than taking on the rest of the industry in a battle that may be
| impossible to win."
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090202/1203253611.shtml

Related:

Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

,----[ Quote ]
| The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
| unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
| executive for Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Sun-exec-accuses-Microsoft-of-patent-terrorism-/0,130061733,339280437,00.htm

Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
| market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
| at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
|
| The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
| software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
| with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
| beginning to show.
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?wiki=Microsoft_Terrorism

Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html