[News] Google Has the Edge in On-line Office Suites

Online Office Applications: Zoho vs. Google vs. Microsoft Office Live

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not a real fair comparison to pit Zoho and Google Docs against Microsoft
| Live Workspace. Office is used to edit documents in Live Workspace and Google
| Docs and Zoho, particularly with their free online Office services, are not
| as feature-rich as Office. However, Google Docs certainly holds its own as a
| good full-blown productivity suite. Zoho has a lot of potential and will
| certainly serve the purpose, but Google Docs has the edge in features.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/213001020

Recent:

MS doesn't set world alight with Office Live Workspace

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft claimed yesterday that one million subscribers have now signed up
| to the beta release of Office Live Workspace.
|
| [...]
|
| And the timing of the firm’s announcement that it has scored what it sees as
| a tasty “customer sign-up milestone” could just be Microsoft’s attempt to
| deflect some attention from shhhh, don’t say it, CHROME, which will be
| integrated with Google's Gears.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/04/office_live_workspace_million_subs/

Google Apps tops 1 million businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| Almost all of the company's revenue comes from its search engine, which last
| quarter accounted for more than $5 billion. New initiatives, such as the
| Chrome browser, Google Gears, and Google Friend Connect, are focused on
| building a mostly open-source Internet operating system out of Google
| technology in order to funnel more user data and targeted advertising
| opportunities into the Googleplex financial engine.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-10029861-80.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Google Scoops Microsoft: Delivers Mesh First

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been head deep into taking apart Ray Ozzie's Mesh vision for Microsoft,
| putting thoughts to the implications of applications which can live on the
| desktop (installed or virtual apps), streamed, or live entirely in the cloud.
| The competitor for Mesh is obviously Google. Today Google takes a page right
| out of the Ozzie Mesh vision and announces offline access for Google Apps,
| what I call Google Docs "unplugged". Users will now be able to view and edit
| Google Docs word docs, and soon, Google Docs spreadsheets while unplugged
| from the net.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/26515

Google mounts fresh assault on Microsoft Word

,----[ Quote ]
| The new offline capability of Google's word processor brings it into direct
| competition with Microsoft Word
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3660445.ece

Google Docs Neutralizes Microsoft Office With Offline Access

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Docs' new offline access feature neutralizes a big advantage of
| Microsoft's Office old school desktop centric productivity suite, according
| to solution providers.
|
| By taking a page out of the Microsoft playbook and offering offline acess,
| Google has in one fell swoop opened the door for Google Docs to be embraced
| by a new group of office productivity workers, said Tyler Dikman, the CEO of
| Cooltronics, a Tampa, Fla. solution provider.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/207001111

Related:

Google brings offline access to Docs and Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Gears is currently supported in Internet Explorer 6 and above and Firefox 1.5
| and above for Windows XP and Vista, according to Google. Firefox 1.5 and
| above is also supported on Mac OS X 10.2 and above and Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=211699424&rid=-50

Google hopes Apps will help against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "A lot of the market has been lulled into thinking that Microsoft was the
| only product for most anything," Girouard said. "In reality, I think our
| products make a lot more sense, especially when you're working in a team
| environment."
|
| [...]
|
| Genentech, Cardinal Health and Proctor & Gamble are among the large companies
| testing the service.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/29/BUNVVK3BR.DTL&type=tech

CIA enlists Google's help for spy work

,----[ Quote ]
| US intelligence agencies are using Google's technology to help its agents
| share information about their suspects
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3652494.ece

Microsoft caves, in part, to online computing

,----[ Quote ]
| So it is with great pleasure that the following observation...
|
| "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
| win," attributed to Mahatma Gandi is also true about high tech vendors and
| how they react to upstart competition.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/realitycheck/archives/2008/03/microsoft_caves.html?source=rss

Google manager: Google Apps replaced Microsoft Office at 100,000 businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's newly released online productivity suite Google Apps has
| already replaced Microsoft Office at more than 100,000 small to
| medium enterprises and has been deployed at two of the largest
| companies in the world, according to the search leader's
| enterprise product boss.

Dumping Office for Google Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has a friend in Disney, and that could leave Microsoft screaming
| like a jilted lover.
`----

http://videos.webpronews.com/2007/02/07/dumping-office-for-google-apps/

FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

,----[ Quote ]
| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
| computers pass their shelf life.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480

Can Google and Linux Topple Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| The story had a certain flair. In early March, the chief information
| officer of the Federal Aviation Administration, David Bowen, was
| reportedly considering forsaking Microsoft Windows and Office in
| favor of the Linux operating system and the Web-based Google Apps
| Premium office suite.

Microsoft's Last Big Beat: Internet Domination or Death

,----[ Quote ]
| What can $44.6B USD mean? Well, for Microsoft (MSFT) it may mean the cost of
| survival.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/63876-microsoft-s-last-big-beat-internet-domination-or-death?source=yahoo

Apps vs. Office: Google Ups the Ante

,----[ Quote ]
| So apparently do some 100,000 small businesses and organizations that use
| Google's productivity and communications software. Even larger corporations,
| such as General Electric  and Procter & Gamble , are becoming adherents.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2007/tc20070716_231231.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Three Minutes With Google's Apps Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| This move, which puts it in direct competition with software
| heavyweights like Microsoft, builds on Google's first steps as
| an enterprise vendor years ago when it launched its firs
| enterprise search product.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070526/tc_pcworld/132241

Google Apps Catches Flak

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is launching an anti-Google propaganda campaign.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2007/09/11/google-apps-catches-flak/?mod=yahoo_hs

Microsoft Retaliates With 10 Reasons Not To Use Google Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| This, of course, brought Google even closer to rivaling Microsoft's Office
| suite, which has now spurred a reaction from the Redmond software giant.
|
| No, its not new software or updates for the popular productivity suite, but
| rather Microsoft's own reasoning on why businesses should NOT use Google
| Apps.
`----

http://www.profy.com/2007/09/11/microsoft-retaliates-with-10-reasons-not-to-use-google-apps/

Will Google Loosen Microsoft's Grip on Large Enterprise?

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s got to be frustrating to sit in Redmond today and watch the world go by
| without having much of a grip on it anymore.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070910/46884_id.html?.v=1

Out of the office

,----[ Quote ]