Re: [News] Google Chrome Coming to GNU/Linux Soon

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Google readying Mac, Linux versions of Chrome 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has a swathe of new functionality ready for Chrome 2.0, along with Mac | and Linux support. Here's what's inside. `----

http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=3371

Google Chrome Needs 'Common Code' on Mac and Linux

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Google-Chrome-Needs-039-Common-Code-039-on-Mac-and-Linux-101539.shtml

Chrome 2.0 Preview Means Mac, Linux Versions Coming Soon

http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/01/chrome-20-previ.html

"We should dedicate a cross-group team to come up with ways to leverage Windows
technically more."

                                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft felon

Recent:

Google Chrome on GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been waiting to test Google Chrome on GNU/Linux from the moment I
| heard about its release. But the initial release only had a version for
| Windows. They promised to release versions for Mac OS X and GNU/Linux as soon
| as they port the code. I tried to compile the code following the instructions
| on the wiki, but all I got was a binary that would run all the unit tests.
`----

http://www.j4v4m4n.in/2008/12/12/google-chrome-on-gnulinux/

Firefox, Chrome and IE Talk Add-ons

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Crockford, the biggest threat to openness is mobile. "Out of
| desperation they're [mobile] looking at supporting the Web, but it looks like
| they're trying to keep it closed. Is it going to turn out that way?" he
| asked.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/firefox_chrome_and_ie_talk_add.php

playing with chrome on linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Soon after they announced, I'd been hoping to take Google Chrome for a test
| drive. The comic book laid out a lot of interesting things, my favorite being
| the discussion of separate processes leading to detachable (and "retachable")
| browser tabs, something I have been touting for years as a long term Galeon
| user. My big problem though? I run Linux, and Google has so far left Linux
| support on the back burner. Still, I figured that someone had probably made a
| Linux build available by now, so inspired by John McCain's speech on TV
| tonight, I set about seeing if I could get it set up.
`----

http://people.planetpostgresql.org/xzilla/index.php?/archives/358-playing-with-chrome-on-linux.html

A Linux users' guide to Google Chrome

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, I’ll show you how to obtain and build the Linux source. A heads up:
| you won’t be Chroming after this, Google haven’t finished porting it to Linux
| and I’m certainly not smarter than the Google engineers and have no magic
| fix.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20425/1141/

Chromium Build Instructions?

http://jldugger.livejournal.com/16704.html

Chromium - Open Source Chrome

,----[ Quote ]
| As you might have noticed from our Google Chrome coverage, we're pretty
| excited about the potential -- even if it hasn't lived up to everyone's
| expectations. Much of that potential is tied-up in the architecture used to
| create Chome. As Google continued to reiterate during yesterday's webcast,
| Chrome is open source.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/09/03/chromium-open-source-chrome/

I don't understand you can already get the beta of Google Chrome 2 yet I have not seen the Linux beta yet even for version 1?