[News] Interviews with Mozilla CEO and Wintel's FOSS Guy

Browsing the career of Mozilla CEO John Lilly

,----[ Quote ]
| The Stanford University-trained computer scientist is chief executive of
| Mozilla, maker of the Firefox Web browser, which broke Microsoft's hold on
| the market so it couldn't dominate the Internet the way it does computer
| operating systems. About 95% of Web surfers used Microsoft's Internet
| Explorer in 2004; now 20% use Firefox, and other companies are offering
| browsers that are smarter and faster than ever before.
`----

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/01/browsing-the-ca.html

An Interview with Peter Kronowitt, Software Strategist for the Intel Open
Source Technology Center

,----[ Quote ]
| Matthew Sacks and Peter Kronowitt discuss how the Moblin project is
| innovating mobile software development and the future of the mobile device
| arena.
|
| [...]
|
| Peter Kronowitt: As you point out, hundreds of millions of cell phones are
| sold each year, and the vast majority are proprietary. eMarketer estimates
| that the number of people using handheld devices to access the Internet will
| triple by 2012, and more than 20% of all mobile phone subscribers will also
| use their phones to access the Internet. Also, Linux as a percentage of the
| total smartphone market is expected to grow. Symbian is moving to open
| source, but it will take some time for the project and the community to
| mature. Between Linux, Symbian, the maturity of the software stack, and the
| pace of open source innovation, it makes sense that open source will continue
| its fast-paced growth.
`----

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1311595

Recent:

Mozilla chief John Lilly is fired up about making a better Web browser

,----[ Quote ]
| With 200 employees and a $50-million budget, Mozilla is the for-profit
| subsidiary of the nonprofit Mozilla Foundation. Firefox is "open source,"
| meaning users everywhere are encouraged to improve it. Its success depends
| largely on thousands of devoted volunteers -- 40% of the code is written by
| people who don't clock in.
|
| "If people participate in the construction of the Web, it will be better and
| more robust." For example, Mozilla produced Firefox in one language: English.
| Volunteers translated it into 61 other languages and also made it accessible
| to the blind and deaf and others with physical limitations. Next up: Firefox
| for mobile phones. Consumers appreciate the Mozilla mission: "It's like
| organic food. When you tell people about the values that go into building the
| product, it builds loyalty."
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-himi4-2009jan04,0,2452219.story

Intel Joins Giga-byte, Chunghwa to Launch Linux MID

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel joined Taiwanese mobile phone service provider Chunghwa Telecom to
| launch Giga-byte Technology's Atom-powered M528 mobile Internet device on
| Monday in Taipei.
|
| Chunghwa will begin offering the small, handheld device to consumers in
| December for NT$12,900 (US$386) with a 2-year service package, the companies
| said. The devices will cost NT$19,500 without a service plan.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/154398/intel_joins_gigabyte_chunghwa_to_launch_linux_mid.html

Related:

[John Lilly:] my new job at mozilla