[News] Fear of Windows Turns Mothers to GNU/Linux

Migrating from Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been threatening my wife’s PC for quite some time now, but there has
| been no real motivation to move until today… Our bank called and told her a
| credit card has been fraudulently used in the last few days. Fortunately they
| appear to have correctly and swiftly identified the misuse and are dealing
| with the problem.
|
| However, this experience has obviously caused my beloved (Helen) to start
| wondering how her details were captured in the first place. She is pretty
| scrupulous with the shredder, and this particular card is almost only ever
| used for on-line transactions; so her PC was a possible, if not likely, route
| for the thieves. The ClamWin AV scan threw up a few nasty sounding files,
| including some IE.IFrame trojan thing, although they had all been quarantined
| already.  But the fact that Windows is so vulnerable to attack and subsequent
| compromise when compared to Linux, this saga has just tipped the scales. We
| now have a good reason to start the final migration of the Lord household.
`----

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009/01/04/migrating-from-windows/

Security and your mother's Linux box

,----[ Quote ]
| From the point of view of a user who's only going to use the PC for web
| browsing, word processing and one or two other simple tasks like that, the
| best solution is to move to an alternative platform. The big opportunity,
| which some Linux distributions are now obviously seizing, is to produce Linux
| PCs and Linux laptops that just work, which don't need anyone to know what a
| Tar file is, let alone how to compile stuff.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/security-and-your-mother-s-linux-box-496204

Recent:

The Ubuntu Experiment

,----[ Quote ]
| This isn’t the regular granny-test - this time, we’ll put Ubuntu’s famous
| user-friendliness to the test the right way.
|
| In this experiment, Ubuntu will face Windows, but it’s going to be a fair
| game. This means that I will not customise Ubuntu to make it easier to use -
| no, it will come exactly as-is.
`----

http://theubuntuexperiment.wordpress.com/2008/01/01/the-ubuntu-experiment/

Your mom runs Ubuntu? Join the team? She doesn’t yet? Help her. And join the
Team!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.screenage.de/blog/2008/10/19/your-mom-runs-ubuntu-join-the-team-she-doesnt-yet-help-her-and-join-the-team/