[News] Many More Children Raised with GNU/Linux to Alleviate Computer Fears

Pupils conquer fear of computers

,----[ Quote ]
| Much of the country is remote and accessible only on foot, and many of its
| people have never glimpsed a computer, let alone touched one.
|
| Working with other organisations, including Save the Children-Norway, HeNN is
| setting up the libraries with the use of what is called the Linux Terminal
| Server Project (LTSP).
|
| This is a free and open-source (accessible to everyone) package which
| connects one powerful central server in the school, using the Linux operating
| system, to a number of diskless low-end computers. When linked to the server,
| each computer receives a full Linux desktop.
|
| LTSP is seen as a cost-effective, power-saving and durable technology, not
| only in schools but also in other sectors. What's more, it is also virtually
| free of tampering and computer viruses - and the Linux software developed by
| Madan Puraskar Pustakalaya, a charitable educational library based in
| Kathmandu, is being provided free of cost.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7684616.stm

Recent:

School districts serve up lessons in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| School districts in the US and Canada find Linux and open source offers
| better support, cheaper setup costs, and improved educational value
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;821318543

Schools in Swiss Canton Switch

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this German article, the Swiss canton Geneva is switching to
| Linux and OpenOffice.org for 9,000 computers in education.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/schools_in_swiss_canton_switch

Ubuntu breathes new life into school's abandoned hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| But according to Stefyn, the "huge amount of flexibility" offered by the
| Linux operating system was the primary motive behind its adoption.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=609377314&rid=-219

9000 PCs in Swiss schools going Linux only

,----[ Quote ]
| Beginning this September, all 9000 computers will run only Ubuntu and free
| and open source software. While officials are happy to be saving money on
| licensing, the Department of Public instruction largely made the move out of
| what they considered best practices for student education (please note that
| the translation below is directly from Google Translation; non-French
| speakers should get the idea, though).
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1615

Red Hat taps Singapore schools for mindshare

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat said it expects to train some 1,000 students under this program by
| 2009.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62039950,00.htm?scid=rss_z_nw

CH: Geneva schools completely switch to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| About 70,000 students and their 7,000 teachers in the Geneva school district
| will gradually be moving to Open Source.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7576/6008

What Policy Should India Adopt for ICT in School Education?

,----[ Quote ]
| Considering that computer science is a strange mix of deep theory as well as
| sophisticated technology, it is very vital for any society to use this
| transparently. Else, we will let some agencies become monopolies. This is a
| serious danger to digital society because, the data that is digitized belongs
| to you and me, and not to the company. But, in reality today, our data has
| been handed over to the proprietary companies, since they alone have the
| license to decode our own documents. This will create a possibility for
| computer crime, which is happening all around our eyes. We should we let this
| happen?
`----

http://gnowgi.org/2008/04/27/what-policy-should-india-adopt-for-ict-in-school-education/

Canadian British Columbia's School District #73 opts for Debian GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Kamloops Thompson School District #73, British Columbia, Canada, with 55
| elementary and secondary schools, chose a majority of open source software on
| Debian GNU / Linux as it is easier to maintain and in their experience offers
| better support.
`----

http://www.techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/british_columbian_school_district_73_chose_debian

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

Xubuntu: Better than Ubuntu (at least for me)

,----[ Quote ]
| So my situation here at AEA has been pretty well stated in this blog, but to
| briefly reiterate where we are:
|
| There are approximately 200 workstations around campus for student use of
| which approximately 35 are Pentium 4 powered. The rest are either P3 or P2
| machines with around 256MB RAM.
|
| [...]
|
| Best of all I did a little accidental user testing with some 6th graders
| today and the results were great! Basically I had 3 classes today and in each
| one a kid jumped on the Xubuntu machine I set up yesterday. None of the three
| kids even mentioned the fact that their machine looked different from
| everyone elses, they all just hopped on firefox and got to work!
`----

http://hartmansblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/xubuntu-better-than-ubuntu-at-least-for.html

Ubuntu for Kids

,----[ Quote ]
| We settled on the idea of converting unused computers to Ubuntu desktops we
| could install at Cleveland Elementary school. Since its inception, we have
| installed seven desktops, and have 12 more being updated in my garage. We
| have also helped start a computer club on campus, which we attend once a
| month to instruct students. So far, the kids are loving it. It’s amazing how
| easily they gravitate toward the Ubuntu operating system, and how much they
| enjoy learning computers after school. I believe we have some future Linux
| Systems Administrators in the making.
`----

http://www.myintervals.com/blog/2008/05/07/ubuntu-for-kids/

Related:

Expert shares secrets to saving thousands with K12LTSP

,----[ Quote ]
| The K12 Linux Terminal Server Project (K12LTSP) is a thin client
| distribution designed for use in schools.
|
| [...]
|
| Arkiletian estimates that his lab cost only $4,000 to set up --
| about a tenth the cost of buying replacement workstations.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/16/1717243&tid=23&tid=46

'The Linux desktop is a complete blast'

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux desktop is a complete blast. This market just went to a
| million downloads. It's hot, it's cool, it's a lot less expensive,
| the kids are loving it. School systems have some great desktop
| operating systems -- it's also in kiosks, retail systems,
| point-of-sale systems. A lot of those systems are being refreshed
| now, so the best thing now is really lowering the cost of
| ownership, increasing return on investment. This is a great space,
| very strong selling. We're 95 per cent there as a viable alternative
| to anything else.
`----

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070305.wqandaMcAuliff0306/BNStory/PersonalTech/home
http://tinyurl.com/yrvqr8

Spending on open source support services in Canada to soar

,----[ Quote ]
| The market for open source support services is going to boom over
| the next five years, according to a recent Gartner survey.
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=42488&cid=6

Kubuntu Takes Over the Canary Islands

,----[ Quote ]
| The Canary Islands have two derivatives of Kubuntu, one which is being
| installed in all their schools and one used by the largest university.
`----

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1142

All Macedonian students to use Linux desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| NComputing announced this week that its multi-user virtual desktop software
| and low-cost virtual PC terminals will be used to equip every school child in
| the Republic of Macedonia, formerly part of Yugoslavia, with a Linux desktop.

Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
| Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
| software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
| stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
| significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007%2F09%2F14%2F266177

Basics of a Linux-based School IT Infrastructure

,----[ Quote ]
| I've had some correspondence with Gregg Ferrie and Dean Montgommery at BC
| SD73 in Canada. These guys have a remarkable program where all the schools in
| the district are clambering over one-another to be the next one converted to
| Linux. Quoting Gregg at around the time of writing:
|
| School District No. 73 has 54 schools and another 6 administration sites
| including Board Office, Maintenance and Transportation. Roughly 4500+
| computers or desktops for all staff and students. Each Elementary School has
| one teaching lab of 30 computers, at least one computer in each classroom,
| computers in libraries, Learning Assistance rooms and the offices. Secondary
| schools range in size but the smallest have at least 2 teaching labs of 30
| ranging up to 8 in the largest school.
`----

http://bbmaj7.livejournal.com/3542.html

Athens schools promote 'open source' computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Athens was invited because it is one of few districts in Michigan teaching on
| Linux operating systems. Linux is a cost-free alternative to proprietary
| systems, such as Microsoft Windows or Apple's Mac O.S. While some open source
| software applications, such as e-mail programs, come at a cost, Linux is
| almost entirely free. Windows or Mac systems can cost up to $400 per machine.
|
| Open source means the source code for an operating system cannot be owned and
| is available for free.
`----

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080305/NEWS01/803050312/1002/NEWS01

'Installfest' Brings Open Source Tools to Northern California Schools

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea is to take advantage of the low overhead of open-source tools and
| operating systems, such as the Linux-based Ubuntu, so that computers that
| would otherwise have been discarded can be put to use for educational
| institutions and other groups, including low-income individuals and
| non-profits.
|
| [...]
|
| Some of the California schools participating in the March Installfest include
| Ascend School, Bella Vista Elementary, Casa Grande High School, KIPP San
| Francisco Bay Academy, Lockwood School, Mission High School, and Whittier
| Elementary School.
`----

http://www.thejournal.com/articles/22127

Linux will dominate UK schools within 5 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, it does seem unlikely doesn't it? Windows has been the only reality for
| several generations of computer users. But is the tide finally beginning to
| turn?
|
| At the Education Show held in February 2007, the talk was of 'sustainable'
| computing and how schools could use technology to reduce their 'carbon
| footprint'. Nobody had any idea of what was to come – a host of Linux-based,
| ultra-portable, incredibly cheap and very green personal laptops.
`----

http://www.siriusit.co.uk/myblog/linux-will-dominate-uk-schools-within-5-years.html

One Laptop Per New York City Middle School Student

,----[ Quote ]
| One Laptop Per Child may have pilot projects in many schools worldwide, but
| the newest program has my rapt attention. Teaching Matters, an educational
| non-profit, is implementing a OLPC pilot in the Kappa IV school in New York
| City with a refreshing twist.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/usa/new_york_city_middle_school_student.html

Kerala On Linux Express Highway

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
| express highway.
|
| [...]
|
| If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
| sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fullnews.asp?edid=16139&magid=11

San Diego Students Learn on Linux Desktops From Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| San Diego Unified School District is the second-largest school
| district in California, serving more than 130,000 students,
| 100,000 of whom are in grades three through 12 and are
| targeted by the Always-On Learning Initiative.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070521/aqm036.html?.v=13

Kubuntu Takes Over Georgia; Ubuntu Summit Video

,----[ Quote ]
| Georgia is rolling out Kubuntu in all their schools. This is being
| done as part of a project to bring the internet to every school
| in Georgia.
`----

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2797

Students may get recycled computers

,----[ Quote ]
| All of the hard drives have been reformatted so it contains no
| district information. Each computer will also include a free set
| of software which will include a word processing application,
| a photo manipulation application and a few games along with a
| Linux operating system.
`----

http://www.wcmessenger.com/news/news/EEZlAlVkEpEFmkSpXI.php

Vista sales could boost PC recycling

,----[ Quote ]
| As customers line up to buy new PCs capable of running Microsoft
| Corp.'s new Windows Vista OS, vendors like Dell Inc. and
| Hewlett-Packard Co. (HP) are preparing to process a surge
| of discarded, outmoded computers.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/1183/070131pcrecycle/index.html

Schools across Japan may switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Japan's public broadcaster NHK reported late last week that the
| Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry plans to introduce
| the open-source operating system Linux for use within classrooms
| across the country in the near future.
`----

http://gyaku.jp/en/index.php?cmd=contentview&pid=000112

Primary school goes Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| I prepared 5 CDs and installed 14 PCs in less than two hours,
| including account setup and Firefox preparation (start page to a
| kids friendly site, Adblock).
`----

http://www.gadgetguy.de/2007/03/12/primary-school-goes-ubuntu/

District to save money by switching computers to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Hyland said the district hopes to get all of its computers
| running Linux exclusively by 2010. By that time, administrators
| should have identified new Linux programs for Bexley students,
| including kindergartners. Hyland said she wants to get
| kindergartners started with a program that teaches typing so
| that Bexley students are familiar with technology early on.
`----

http://www.thisweeknews.com/?sec=home&story=sites/thisweeknews/022207/Bexley/News/022207-News-310108.html

Microsoft Windows ousted at California school district

,----[ Quote ]
| By this summer, all 5,000 students and 250 teachers will be working
| off of a Linux-based thin client running OpenOffice.org, and the
| majority of the district's servers will be running Novell SUSE
| Linux Enterprise Server.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1245710,00.html

Reason Why Schools Should Adopt Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Can I Import My Previous Work Into Linux? Consider this: you have
| document after document tied up into formats, such as Outlook, MS
| Publisher and so on. Now, with Outlook, I "believe" the data can bee
| xported without too much trouble. But last time I checked, your
| Publisher files were stuck as is, period. So it's fair to say
| that challenges like this can indeed, seem like a deal breaker
| for some users. I mean come on, this is  not a solution and the
| fact that Publisher is so commonly used in the Windows world is
| certainly not helping anyone. This issue would seem trivial to
| most of us, but to those who just installed Linux, it can prove
| to be frustrating.
`----

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7802

Stretching the Education Dollar With Linux

,----[ Quote ]