Re: [News] MIT Buys Monopolies Using Other People's Work

Phil Da Lick! wrote:
Homer wrote:
Universities Patenting More Student Ideas
[...]
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/03/2327255

So let me get this straight, the /inventor/ does not "own" his own idea?

Not when he's technically employed by a university and inventing on /their/ time.

And people wonder why I'm so opposed to patents.

Nope. Still not seeing the logic there.

This proves conclusively that "patents" have zero to do with invention,
it is purely a case of who walks through the patent office door, with a
big wad of cash, first.

for historical example, Alexander Graham Bell vs. Elisha Gray for the patent on the telephone. Gray invented the telephone, Bell beat him to the patent office by a mere twelve minutes. Ergo, Bell gets the credit.

<snippage>

--
TLP

- Last night I played a blank tape at full volume. The mime next door went nuts.

 - No, I will not fix your computer.

 - Thought: It must be a bitch to write your name in the snow in Arabic...

 - Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

 - Rice: 1.4 billion Chinese can't all be wrong.

- I'm dreaming of a better world where chickens can cross the road and not have their motives questioned!

 - If you can make a cheesecake you can install a Linux driver from source.

*#* Signoff: labo-rat (find / -name \*yourbase\* -exec chown us:us {} \;)