Re: [News] MIT Buys Monopolies Using Other People's Work

Homer wrote:
Universities Patenting More Student Ideas
[...]
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/03/2327255

So let me get this straight, the /inventor/ does not "own" his own idea?

And people wonder why I'm so opposed to patents.

This proves conclusively that "patents" have zero to do with invention,
it is purely a case of who walks through the patent office door, with a
big wad of cash, first.

150 years after the end of the California Gold Rush, certain elements of
society are still behaving like a bunch of toothless; rabid prospectors,
murderously rushing towards that glint of gold in the rock face, without
regard for anything but their own greed. Mankind may have built empires;
walked on the moon; and invented the computer, but in terms of morality,
it seems apparent that some of us will never evolve beyond the mentality
of Neanderthals.

Excellent post.