[News] Red Hat Tells Microsoft to Drop the Racketeering Strategy

Microsoft, Red Hat Renew Linux Patent Spat

,----[ Quote ]
| "To win the respect and trust of the Linux community, Microsoft should
| unequivocally disavow such conduct and pledge that its patents will never be
| used against Linux or other open source developers and users," Red Hat
| stated.
|
| Microsoft however has a different opinion. Horacio Gutierrez, corporate vice
| president and deputy general counsel at Microsoft, has blogged his own
| response to Red Hat's call.
|
| "Some observers question how a company can contribute to open source projects
| while, at the same time, insisting on respect of its intellectual property
| rights by its competitors," Gutierrez blogged. "In fact, these two things are
| not inconsistent, and striking a balance between them is one of the key
| things every commercial technology company must do in order to compete
| effectively in a mixed source world.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3831226/Microsoft+Red+Hat+Renew+Linux+Patent+Spat.htm

Red Hat is wrong to insist Microsoft disavow litigation

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat's legal team has given a half-hearted pat on the back to Microsoft's
| open sourcing of Linux device drivers this week.
|
| The observation of the Bible's James came to mind: "Out of the same mouth
| proceedeth blessing and cursing."
|
| [...]
|
| The spirit of Red Hat's comment--compete on the basis of technology and
| execution, not patent threats--is absolutely correct. But the course of
| action suggested by Red Hat's legal team for Microsoft is a double standard
| that no company or individual should follow.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10292729-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Red Hat lauds, criticizes Microsoft's Linux efforts

,----[ Quote ]
| While applauding Microsoft's contribution of code to the Linux community this
| week, Red Hat nonetheless urged its rival to pledge that it will never use
| its patents against Linux.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/red-hat-lauds-criticizes-microsofts-linux-efforts-357

The Linux Kernel and Open Source Drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| Now ask yourself this question: would Microsoft have released their
| virtualization drivers as Open Source if they could have been included in the
| kernel as binary drivers? Probably not! (especially if as some suggest
| Microsoft had little choice)
`----

http://www.tech-no-media.com/2009/07/linux-kernel-and-open-source-drivers.html

Related:

[Mark Shuttleworth Interview]

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is asking people to pay them for patents, but they won't
| say which ones. If a guy walks into a shop and says: "It's an
| unsafe neighbourhood, why don't you pay me 20 bucks and I'll make
| sure you're okay," that's illegal. It's racketeering. What Microsoft
| is doing with intellectual property is exactly the same. It's a great
| company and I have great admiration for it, but this was not a
| well considered position.
|
| So you wouldn't do a deal?
|
| No, absolutely not. But the time will come when the folks at
| Microsoft who have a clear vision for the company as a participant
| in this community, rather than as a hostile antagonist, will win.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/nephp/?m=show&id=6672

Court: Microsoft, Best Buy must stand trial for racketeering

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/stories/001/?ID=5059