Re: [News] Swindle Shows the Harms of DRM

Andrew Halliwell wrote:

> amicus_curious <ACDC@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> "Ezekiel" <zeke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>

>>> So much for "the cloud" and having some 3rd party store all of your
>>> data.
>>>
>> It wasn't so voluntary on the part of Amazon since they were threatened
>> by a
>> copyright infringement suit that they could not defend.  They had no
>> choice. Even if you have data controlled by your own IT network, it is
>> subject to subpoena by prosecutors or plaintiffs as the case may be, so
>> avoiding the cloud doesn't help much in that regard.
>
> So let me get this straight...
> Let's say a publisher decided to withdraw a dead tree book from
> publication. Would amazon send 'round the bailiffs to reclaim every single
> copy sold? Or would they simply stop distributing it?
>
> There WAS no copyright infringement. It said in the article "The
> publishers changed their minds" which means the publishers HAD granted
> permission and that permission should NOT have been withdrawn from the
> people who'd already BOUGHT the sodding e-books.
>
> Changing their minds is withdrawal of permission and should ONLY affect
> amazon's SUBSEQUENT sales.

Exactly - as the books deleted weren't only in 'The cloud' but also deleted
from the drives inside customer's hardware they have effectively sent
virtual bailiffs in and confiscated the books from customer's homes.

If you or I were to remotely delete files from someone else's PC, Phone, or
ebook reader without permission from the hardware owner we would be
arrested and charged under computer misuse laws (even if the files we were
deleting were only lent out copies of our own photo's and home movies) so
why can companies do the same without needing to worry about any comeback.

Not only that but the book they chose to delete was George Orwell's 1984, a
book about big brother attitudes so I really doubt George would have
approved - not only that but as the author died in 1950 they were deleting
a book that should have become public domain by now.