[News] Compromise of Privacy Signals Greater Need for Free(dom) Software

Canadian gov't: you have no expectation of privacy on the Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| In the latest episode of the Canadian tech podcast Search Engine, Peter Van
| Loan, the new Public Safety minister, attempts to explain the Conservative
| government's approach to privacy on the internet. It's a remarkable piece of
| audio. It goes a little like this:
|
| Search Engine: Here's some audio of your predecessor promising, on behalf of
| your party and your government, never to ever allow the police to wiretap the
| Internet without a warrant.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/06/30/canadian-govt-you-ha.html

Deep-Packet Inspection in U.S. Scrutinized Following Iran Surveillance

,----[ Quote ]
| Following a report last week that Iran is spying on domestic internet users
| with western-supplied technology, advocacy groups are pressuring federal
| lawmakers to scrutinize the use of the same technology in the U.S.
|
| The Open Internet Coalition sent a letter to all members of the House and
| Senate urging them to launch hearings aimed at examining and possibly
| regulating the so-called deep-packet inspection technology.
`----

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/06/deep-packet-inspection/

Snooping through the power socket

,----[ Quote ]
| Power sockets can be used to eavesdrop on what people type on a computer.
|
| Security researchers found that poor shielding on some keyboard cables means
| useful data can be leaked about each character typed.

Secure Your E-Mail With Thunderbird and GnuPG

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/security/secure_your_email_with_thunderbird_and_gnupg.htm