[News] <Video> Sabotaged by Vendors with Software Patents

Browser vendor squabbles cause W3C to scrap codec requirement

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest rewrite of the Web's mother tongue won't recommend the use of
| specific audio and video encoding formats that could make it cheaper and
| easier for people to distribute multimedia content.
`----

http://infoworld.com/d/developer-world/browser-vendor-squabbles-cause-w3c-scrap-codec-requirement-974

Recent:

[whatwg] MPEG-1 subset proposal for HTML5 video codec

,----[ Quote ]
| preface: IANAL. This post is meant to briefly describe what we are doing,
| not to give any legal guidance or opinions. It is not meant to be
| authoritative, please look at the source code if you want to verify these
| things yourself.
| We are using H.264 in Google Chrome, not in Chromium. We do not have the
| ffmpeg / h.264 related code in chromium (only the header files for ffmpeg),
| ffmpeg and h.264 related stuff is a complete external dependency loaded at
| run time. Chromium is the open source project, Google Chrome is the product
| we build by taking that open source code [chromium] and adding a few things
| that we don't make available in chromium (e.g. our artwork, and in this case
| a binary for ffmpeg / h.264 related stuff that is loaded at run time).
`----

http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-May/019994.html

Dailymotion tests non-Flash video portal

,----[ Quote ]
| French video portal Dailymotion is ditching the use of proprietary plug-ins
| such as Flash and Silverlight for its "pré bêta" Dailymotion site. Instead,
| the open video site is exploring the possibilities offered by HTML 5 and the
| pre-release version of Firefox 3.5. Rather than using a plug-in, the HTML 5
| video player used by the video portal integrates content encoded using open
| source video codec Ogg Theora via the forthcoming HTML 5 video element.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Dailymotion-tests-non-Flash-video-portal--/news/113421

Google toys with plug-in free YouTube

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has mocked up a version of YouTube built around the HTML5 video tag,
| playing mini-movies inside a browser sans plug-ins.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/27/youtube_html5/

The argument for Xiph codecs

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday I had a random technology developer email me with the question why
| he should use Ogg over other codecs that have a much more widespread uptake.
| Of course with “Ogg” he meant “Xiph codecs”, since a comparison of container
| formats isn’t really what people are asking for. He felt positive towards
| open codecs, but didn’t really know how to express this with reason. So I
| wrote up some arguments that can be made for open codecs.
`----

http://blog.gingertech.net/2009/02/16/the-argument-for-xiph-codecs/

why open video?

,----[ Quote ]
| There’s one exception to this: video on the web.  Although videos are
| available on the web via sites like youtube, they don’t share the same
| democratized characteristics that have made the web vibrant and distributed.
| And it shows.  That centralization has created some interesting problems that
| have symptoms like censorship via abuse of the DMCA and an
| overly-concentrated audience on a few sites that have the resources and
| technology to host video.  I believe that problems like the ones we see with
| youtube are a symptom of the larger problem of the lack of decentralization
| and competition in video technology - very different than where the rest of
| the web is today.
|
| In my mind there are two things that help drive that kind of
| decentralization:
|
|     * You should be able to easily understand how something moves from a
|     computer-readable format to something that is presented to a user.  For
|     example, turning HTML into a document, turning a JPEG file into a picture
|     on the screen or using HTTP to download a file.
|     * You must be able to implement and deliver that technology without
|     requiring anyone’s permission or license.  In reality this means that it
|     should be available on a royalty-free basis and without encumbered
|     documentation.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=977

Mozilla champions Open Source Web video

,----[ Quote ]
| THE MOZILLA FOUNDATION is putting its significant clout and cash behind an
| initiative to create an open video format on the Web which would let users
| watch streaming video all over the Internet without having to use a plug-in.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/649/1050649/mozilla-champions-open-source-web-video

Mozilla Goes to Bat for Open-Source Video on the Web

http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/01/mozilla-goes-to.html

Video

,----[ Quote ]
| The video element is used to embed video content in an HTML or XHTML
| document.  The video element was added as part of HTML 5.
`----

http://developer.mozilla.org/En/HTML/Element/Video

Firefox to Support Open Video Format in Next Release

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Blizzard reports from this week’s Mozilla Summit: Firefox will natively
| support the Ogg Theora video format!
`----

http://internet.boredblogs.net/?p=2363

two cool things: ogg support in mozilla and canvas for IE

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=492

Theora Video Backend for Firefox Landed

,----[ Quote ]
`----