Re: Today is fryday

Verily I say unto thee, that Gregory Shearman spake thusly:
> On 2009-07-12, Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Meh, I can watch them the other six days of the week. Anyway, I
>> think the 40 mile cycle run I do every day, more than compensates.
>> ;)
>
> Did your car break down?
>
> 8-)

I've never owned a car, nor even a full license.

When I was younger, I had a 50cc moped ... for a while, which (at that
time) one could legally drive using only a provisional license.

The fact is that I've spent so much of my life overseas, usually on oil
rigs, that I've had very little need for, or even opportunity to use, my
own short-distance transportation. Add to that my general lack of
enthusiasm for cars, and my love of cycling, so my motivation to get one
has been minimal.

Things are somewhat different now I'm retired though. There are
occasions where a car would be useful, but I still find myself lacking
enthusiasm for the ordeal of becoming "roadworthy", then trying to
choose between hundreds of ugly vehicles that all look the same (to me),
and cost far more than they're actually worth (IMHO).

Oh well, I suppose I'll get one eventually.

(10 years later...)

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which
| the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf
| denounces him for the same act, as the destroyer of liberty.
| Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of
| the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today
| among human creatures." ~ Abraham Lincoln
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
 12:20:11 up 45 days, 16:18,  4 users,  load average: 0.31, 0.07, 0.09