[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Junkbox360 Business Falls Apart (Billions in Losses), Resorts to FUD Tactics

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Junkbox360 Business Falls Apart (Billions in Losses), Resorts to FUD Tactics
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 00:44:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

No more prepaid boxes for RRoD 360s from Microsoft

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/no-more-prepaid-boxes-for-rrod-360s-from-microsoft-20090610/

Microsoft: No more "coffins" for busted Xbox 360 consoles

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/52547/microsoft-no-more-coffins-for-busted-xbox-360-consoles/

Microsoft kills 'coffin' policy, time to pack your RRoD Xbox yourself

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/08/microsoft-kills-coffin-policy-time-to-pack-your-rrod-xbox-you/

Microsoft Discontinues 'Coffin' Option for RROD'd 360s

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174682

Xbox problems cost Microsoft $1 billion

,----[ Quote ]
| JULY 6 | FROM VARIETY: Defective Xbox 360s will cost Microsoft more than $1
| billion on its bottom line.
|
| [...]
|
| Submitted by:         Chris Bartoshevich (ctblori@xxxxxxx)
| 6/8/2009 3:11:00 PM PT
`----

http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp?layout=talkbackCommentsFull&talk_back_header_id=6450706&articleid=CA6458001

Microsoft Should Stop Taking Jabs At Gran Turismo

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has an irritating habit of attempting to tear down the competition
| while simultaneously promoting their own; a marketing tactic we don't see as
| often from either Sony or Nintendo. ...and people wonder why there are a
| growing number of gamers who simply don't like Microsoft and how they handle
| their business.
`----

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/5282.html

Recent:

Microsoft kills 'coffin' policy, time to pack your RRoD Xbox yourself

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/08/microsoft-kills-coffin-policy-time-to-pack-your-rrod-xbox-you/

Rumor: Microsoft Can Kill Xbox 360s Remotely

,----[ Quote ]
| A bit of qualification: I follow 8BitJoystick’s Jake Metcalf on Twitter and
| he seems like a responsible writer. More importantly, he has a track record
| of digging up credible inside sources. He famously broke the news that Halo
| developer Bungie was leaving Microsoft (it was actually amusing to see bigger
| outlets laugh at him, then eat their words), and has posted a couple other
| juicy reports as well.
|
| So when Metcalf says the source was “well vetted,” I believe him, even if the
| source’s information leaves me skeptical simply because it’s so unbelievable.
|
| If the report is accurate, the obvious question remains: Does Microsoft have
| the legal right to do this? Yes, Metcalf argues, because hacking an Xbox 360
| is a violation of the console’s terms of service, as well as the Digital
| Millennium Copyright Act.
`----

http://technologizer.com/2009/05/14/rumor-microsoft-can-kill-xbox-360s-remotely/

Microsoft's Xbox 360: No More RROD For Me, But For How Long We'll Have To
See...

,----[ Quote ]
| Back on Wednesday the 15th, I told you that my first-generation Xbox 360 game
| console had experienced the Red Ring of Death the prior Friday evening. I
| also shipped it off on the 15th, and the UPS tracking website reported that
| it was delivered to Microsoft's Mesquite, TX service facility at 10:15AM on
| the 21st.
`----

http://www.edn.com/blog/400000040/post/1240043924.html

Are Xbox 360's E74 Failure's The New RRoD?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to polls conducted by Joystiq and Engagdet, E74 failures on Xbox
| 360's is on the rise. Joystiq asked readers to send in emails with reports of
| the failure, and recieved an overwhelming number of responses to their call.
| For those that aren't acquainted with the dreaded E74 failure, it's a problem
| that occurs when there is an AV cable error. On the surface anyway, because
| if the cable is still in working order (which it usually is) then it's a
| scaler chip problem, directly involving the ANA/HANA chip which is connected
| to the AV cable; or in some cases it's the GPU.
`----

http://www.talkxbox.com/article3097.html

Increase In Xbox 360 E74 Problems

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/23/0337244

New Xbox 360 Hardware Failures Being Reported in Significant Numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| Xbox 360 failures are on the rise since the launch of the New Xbox Experience
|
| A known Xbox 360 hardware issue is beginning to surface in significant
| numbers recently based on research conducted by video game site Joystiq.
| Tentatively called the Xbox 360 E74 error, one of the lights on the “Ring of
| Lights” on the front of your Xbox 360 console flashes red and you receive the
| error code and message: "E74. System Error. Contact Xbox Customer Support".
| The symptoms involve the bottom right portion of the indicator ring
| repeatedly flashing on and off and lines or snow will become visible across
| the screen.
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/New+Xbox+360+Hardware+Failures+Being+Reported+in+Significant+Numbers/article14662.htm

Microsoft Wants You to Pay for E74 Repairs on Xbox 360s over a year old

,----[ Quote ]
| I had a misunderstanding in my pervious article on the Xbox 360 E74 error. It
| ends up that Microsoft is saying that it will repair an E74 error stricken
| Xbox 360 for free only in the first year since purchase since it is still
| covered under the basic one year warranty so the E74 is ONLY covered by the
| normal warranty. After that you have to pay to get it fixed. They will pay
| for shipping but E74 error victims will have to pay to get it fixed if their
| Xbox 360 is over a year old.
|
| [...]
|
| I am sure that the Xbox Red Ring of Death debacle has devalued the perception
| of Microsoft as a brand outside of videogames. The RROD and E74 runs the risk
| of turning an entire generation of future consumers away from seeing
| Microsoft favorably.
|
| I am not even going to mention how much the Jerry Seinfeld Windows Vista ads
| sucked.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.com/digitaljoystick/archives/164950.asp?from=blog_last3

Xbox Live Cancels Year-Long Prepaid Account, Demands Another Year's
Subscription To Reactivate

,----[ Quote ]