[News] War Against Mono/.NET Erupts

I’m Fed Up With Mono

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course I’m fed with Mono. I am so annoyed by the public passion for this
| technology that I won’t bother anymore to blog against it. A tiny mention
| though, in this short post.
|
| First of all, I was exceedingly pissed off by a long pro-Mono plea by Jo
| Shields, which I have read as posted by Carla Schroder. I can’t comment on
| it, as I don’t want to read it again. It hurts my guts.
|
| The only thing I can say: we don’t need Mono, the same way we don’t need
| Java. It’s not just about Microsoft. It’s about stupid people who try to
| force some technologies there where they’re not needed.
`----

http://www.linuxplus.net/2009/06/14/im-fed-up-with-mono/

I give up.

,----[ Quote ]
| On top of all that, the ubuntu forums are “disappearing” threads that are
| critical of mono … and people seem perfectly alright with that. I spent a lot
| of time posting to a thread yesterday, only to come back on today to see it
| removed from the boards. Same thing on brainstorm with votes
| being “disappeared”.
`----

http://meandubuntu.wordpress.com/2009/06/13/i-give-up/

Mono, here we go again

,----[ Quote ]
| Also, sharing pearls for wisdom such as “Double click is patented”, “They’re
| just doing FUD” does not really help people think you’re serious. DOSsing
| BoycottNovell also doesn’t help (nor to claim they did it to themselves), nor
| helps claiming that Fedora included Gnote just for space saving (weird how
| what make Fedora lose space apparently makes Ubuntu save it, uh ?): I’ve got
| a nice news for you:
|
| “We do have some serious concerns about Mono and we’ll continue to look at it
| with our legal counsel to see what if any steps are needed on our part,”
| Frields said.
|
| “We haven’t come to a legal conclusion that is pat enough for us to make the
| decision to take mono out,” Frields said. “Right now we’re in a status quo.
| Gnote is a relatively recent development and unfortunately was too late in
| the Fedora 11 development cycle to include by default.”
|
| That conclusion was probably drew after some consulting with
| RedHat’s “oh-so-sophisticated anti-Mono lawyers”.
|
| It’s not that Mono is that bad. Let’s move it to Medibuntu and everyone is
| fine.
`----

http://www.stefanoforenza.com/mono-here-we-go-again/

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mononono

Recent:

Fedora is concerned about Mono

,----[ Quote ]
| That said, Frields also told me that in his view there are some problems with
| the language used in the legalese surrounding Mono and its redistribution.
|
|     "We do have some serious concerns about Mono and we'll continue to look
|     at it with our legal counsel to see what if any steps are needed on our
|     part," Frields said.
|
| While Mono is part of Fedora, Mono is not part of Red Hat Enterprise Linux
| and hasn't been since 2006. It's not clear if mono will stay or go for the
| final Fedora 12 release when it appears 6 months from now.
|
|     "We haven't come to a legal conclusion that is pat enough for us to make
|     the decision to take mono out," Frields said. "Right now we're in a
|     status quo. Gnote is a relatively recent development and unfortunately
|     was too late in the Fedora 11 development cycle to include by default."
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/06/fedora-is-concerned-about-mono.html

Ubuntu is Driving Me Away

,----[ Quote ]
| I know that Microsoft is opposed to the existence of Linux. That have said
| so, often and stridently. I know that Novell caved in and did not stand up
| for FOSS when they had the chance. They have since apologized, sort of, but
| the damage is done. Other companies did not follow suit, including Red Hat
| and Canonical. I respect them for this as much as I detest Novell for selling
| us down the drain.
|
| Mono is not only a reminder of that sellout, but its legal status is far from
| settled. Novell and Microsoft can’t agree on who can distribute it. Microsoft
| takes the position that their agreement only covers Novell and not other
| distributions. Novell thinks otherwise. I do not care. Nothing that comes
| from Microsoft can be for our good and benefit. They are dedicated to our
| destruction and downfall.
|
| Mono has infected Gnome. Ubuntu uses Gnome. I switched to Kubuntu and am
| happy with it. Now Moonlight is infecting Linux. Canonical is compromising
| its principles in the use of them and in my using their products I am forced
| to compromise my own values.
`----

http://linuxcanuck.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/ubuntu-is-driving-me-away/

Disinformation Disinfected, pt. 3: Banshee in Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Here, let’s take a look at one of the main things that get’s me going about
| mono-supporters.
|
| There is a strong push to get Banshee in as the default media player in
| Ubuntu. Here’s my take on that.
|
| The first lie: Banshee saves space.
|
| As near as I can tell, the whole thing really got going from an
| apebox.org “rant” back around April. In this [cough]fact-filled[/cough] post,
| the assertion is made that 6.1 MiB will be saved on the LiveCD by
| replacing “bloated C-based” Rhythmbox with Banshee.
|
| This, like most pro-mono propaganda is about 25% truth/ 75% lie. You see, it
| doesn’t count the accompanying documentation of Rhythmbox. The apebox.org
| ranter casually cedes the point on page 4 or so of this thread, pretending
| all the while like space was “never really my main argument.”
|
| [...]
|
| It’s my opinion that despite protestations of “oh, I’m just looking out for
| the best application”, it is clear the initial thrust of getting Banshee into
| Ubuntu as the default media player was based on the pro-mono agenda of simply
| pushing mono apps.
|
| Let me be clear on my position: if people want to use mono apps, well then,
| drop it in the repos and drive on Power Ranger. It is the constant “shove it
| down their throats” of the pro-mono brigade which offends me the most.
|
| Mindshare is very important; it is why all that shovelware pays to have their
| crappy applications on the WinXP OEM desktop. It is a major “win” for mono to
| be included by default, because then mono-supporters can simply point to some
| existing application and say “well, that mono app is already in, so why not
| this one?”
`----

http://meandubuntu.wordpress.com/2009/06/10/disinformation-disinfected-pt-3-banshee-in-ubuntu/

Ubuntu censoring rap

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact they even not care of providing a place for discussion to happen.
| Ubuntu does not care about Mono issues. It’s not that people are not allowed
| to talk. It’s that every place they find is the wrong place. There’s no such
| place inside the Ubuntu community facilities.
`----

http://www.stefanoforenza.com/ubuntu-censoring-rap/

Strip Mono from Ubuntu and prevent it to come back

,----[ Quote ]
| Really. This stuff is bloody serious, I mean.. will remove f-spot! And other
| stuff. You could also not be able to have sex with more than a partner at
| time anymore. Use it with care. I also won’t able to give you support to any
| issue you may experience.
|
| The day it will require you to remove the whole gnome, instead, you’ll know
| we’re in big troubles.
`----

http://www.stefanoforenza.com/remove-mono-from-ubuntu/

The elusive, royalty-free patent licence for Mono

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25215/1090/