Re: [News] As Sub-notebooks Race to $0 Can Microsoft Compete Against GNU/Linux?

AZ Nomad wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Malware found on brand new Windows netbook
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> Security vendor Kaspersky Labs found malware on new
>>> Windows XP netbook, just out from the factory. The firm is
>>> warning users to take extra precautions, and ensure virgin
>>> systems are malware free before connecting them to the
>>> Internet.
>> `----
>
> They're recommending that windows be wiped off the systems?
>
>> http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/news.asp?id=5322

[quote]
Update to WGA Notifications for Windows XP Pro

Starting this week, we will begin deployment of the latest
version of WGA Notifications for Windows XP.  In addition to the
usual updates to validation that improve WGA's ability to detect
the latest stolen or fake product keys and other attempts to
circumvent product activation, this release will also include a
couple of other significant updates. [...]

Friday, April 24, 2009 12:05 PM by waldolc
# re: Update to WGA Notifications for Windows XP Pro

I do not understand how after running this update from Microsoft
on my computer that I end up with what looks like a virus scam. I
bought my software years ago at a Staples and had a smooth
installation and simple online VALIDATION years ago and many
years of easy operation. I install this new WGA update and now I
am being told that my software is now invalid and that I must pay
an additional $150 for software I paid $300 for already. I'm not
sure I understand how this is beneficial to me as a consumer. I
feel like I am about to be ripped off...
[/quote]

http://blogs.msdn.com/wga/archive/2009/03/24/update-to-wga-notifications-for-windows-xp-pro.aspx

--
HPT