[News] Huge Success to Free Software with 10 Million Downloads of Jooomla Alone

10 Million Downloads

,----[ Quote ]
| The Joomla Project is excited to celebrate a remarkable benchmark in the
| world of open source—our 10 millionth download.
`----

http://www.joomla.org/announcements/general-news/5236-10-million-thank-yous.html

BSD numbers:

The FreeBSD Project: numbers and statistics

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a presentation by George Dafernos at the Oekonux Conference
| (Manchester 2009). Some interesting statistics with regards to FreeBSD
| developers, releases, productivity etc etc.
`----

http://www.freebsdnews.net/2009/06/08/the-freebsd-project-numbers-and-statistics/

Recent:

10 open source books worth downloading

,----[ Quote ]
| Free and open source software is all about sharing so, prompted by a reader
| who emailed me last week to ask about books on Linux, I spent some time over
| the weekend doing research. The result is a short list of books that users -
| from newbies to gurus - can download and read at their leisure. There are
| many more books than just these available online but I chose to limit the
| list to books that could be downloaded in full. I also chose a wide range of
| books, from introductions to Linux, books on implementing open source in
| schools and in Africa, to books that defined the evolution of free software.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=4491

State of the Project Report: Joomla! Web CMS

,----[ Quote ]
| The original intent was to use the GNU Public License (GPL) for Joomla!
| However, there was an entire ecosystem of proprietary extensions around the
| open source CMS, with many people making their entire living from these
| extensions.
|
| In 2005, the core team had a member of the OSM board write up a rider,
| granting an exception for these extension developers to use any license they
| wanted.
|
| This rider was added in May 2006, but that wasn't the end of the issue. Over
| the next year, the core team began to worry that exceptions were not in fact
| legal within some interpretations of the GPL and may put the project in
| jeopardy. On June 14, 2007, the official announcement "Open Source Does
| Matter" appeared, re-committing Joomla! to full GPL compliance and promising
| that the road would not be littered with lawsuits or snap decisions.
`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/web-cms/state-of-the-project-report-joomla-web-cms-004182.php

Linux.SYS-CON.com Q&A with Lead Developer of Joomla!, Andrew Eddie

,----[ Quote ]
| In September, core developers of Mambo, the popular open source content
| management system, announced a fork of the project, called Joomla!, with
| virtually all active participants following the fork.
|
| I caught up with Andrew Eddie, lead developer of the new Joomla!, to find out
| more about the decision to fork the Mambo project, and to find out how things
| are going so far.
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/node/139435/print

The Pros and Cons of Using Joomla!

,----[ Quote ]
| Joomla! is a content management system you can use to build websites faster
| than you ever imagined. Read more about the pluses and minuses of using
| Joomla!
`----

http://www.computersight.com/Software/The-Pros-and-Cons-of-Using-Joomla.377273

Portrait: Louis Landry of Joomla! finds direction in FOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| For Louis Landry, a member of the core team for the Joomla! management
| system, free and open source software (FOSS) is not just a hobby, nor just
| the technology behind Jxtended, the consulting business in which he is a
| partner. For Landry, FOSS is also the movement that gave him direction in
| life, and provides both the rationale and the outlet for his diverse
| interests. In fact, he is so enthusiastic about FOSS that he sounds like an
| evangelist for the community whenever it is mentioned.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/139747

Joomla! and the latest trends in the open source revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| As of February 2008, the official Joomla support forum, moderated by Brad
| Baker, has more than 260,000 threads and 1.2 million posts from more than
| 170,000 registered members in 40 languages.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=1632521361&rid=-219

Related:

Joomla Awarded Best Open Source CMS

,----[ Quote ]
| The Joomla team has been having a great year and it seems the end
| is no where in sight.
`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/open-source-cms/joomla-awarded-best-open-source-cms-000894.php

Ladies and Gentlemen... [Joomla! 1.5]

,----[ Quote ]
| It is with great pride that the Joomla! community announces to the world the
| immediate availability of Joomla! 1.5 Stable [Khepri].  As a community of
| contributors, we have been through celebrations and tribulations. We have had
| fun, and we have worked hard. We have learned from and helped one another.
| What started two and a half years ago with a letter to the community has
| grown into a great opportunity for both the Joomla! project and community to
| benefit from these efforts and to consider our future.
`----

http://www.joomla.org/content/view/4488/1/

Joomla! - the licence stays the same

,----[ Quote ]