[News] Plans for Ubuntu 10.04, Ubuntu User Magazine Released

Ubuntu aims for ten-second boot time with 10.04

,----[ Quote ]
| The developers behind the Ubuntu Linux distribution aim to significantly
| improve boot performance. Their ambitious goal for 2010 is to reduce total
| boot time to 10 seconds.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/06/ubuntu-aims-for-ten-second-boot-time.ars

Ubuntu user magazine

,----[ Quote ]
| I spotted a new magazine in WHSmiths today. Its was called Ubuntu-User and
| was made by the same people that make Linux-Magazine.
`----

http://naiux.wordpress.com/2009/06/10/ubuntu-user-magazine-2/

Recent:

GRUB 2: the New Boot Loader in Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| UDS (Ubuntu Developer Summit) for Karmic Koala took place this year, between
| the 25th and 29th of May, in Barcelona, Spain. There were 270 blueprints that
| needed to be discussed during the summit, like the new professional look of
| Plymouth (an application that takes care of the graphical boot animation) for
| Karmic Koala, which will not become reality very soon. However, some of the
| ideas discussed at UDS will be implemented in the next version of the Ubuntu
| operating system, due for release in late October 2009. One of these was
| the "grub2-as-default" discussion, and Colin Watson had the pleasure to
| announce last night that GRUB 2 would definitely be the default boot loader
| in Ubuntu 9.10.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/GRUB-2-The-New-Boot-Loader-in-Ubuntu-9-10-113671.shtml

GRUB2 To Be Used By Default In Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting with Ubuntu 9.10 (and beginning with tomorrow's daily CD builds),
| GRUB2 will be the default boot-loader on new Ubuntu installations. GRUB2 will
| bring internationalization support, support for newer systems, and many other
| improvements considering this GNU boot-loader has been in development for a
| number of years.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzMxMg

Explaining Ubuntu's 10 Second Boot Time