[News] Interview Melanie Groves VonFange, Other Free Software People

BSD Advocacy and Breaking Through Market Barriers, Melanie Groves VonFange

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox is the greatest example of open source success to date, and there are
| other projects who have made headway against proprietary applications. GIMP,
| is an open source alternative to Adobe's Photoshop. The GIMP graphic editor
| has a strong user base, flexible plugins, and community based documentation
| and tutorials. OpenOffice, sponsored in part by Sun Microsystems, has made
| some serious headway against its pricey proprietary counterpart, Microsoft
| Office. Ubuntu, a community developed, Linux-based operating system, has
| shown that open source operating systems are accessible to the average user.
| Ubuntu has helped to push the Linux market share to 1.06%, a record high. Use
| of the Windows operating system has declined to below 88% for the first time.
| The opportunity for other open source operating systems, such as the BSD
| family of operating systems, exists. The iron is hot and it is time to
| strike.
`----

http://www.osbr.ca/ojs/index.php/osbr/article/view/891/861

FLOSS Weekly 72: OpenSim

,----[ Quote ]
| Hosts: Randal Schwartz, Jono Bacon, and Leo Laporte
|
| OpenSimulator, the free and open source 3D application server program used to
| create virtual environments.
`----

http://twit.tv/floss72

Recent:

The Human Factor in Open Source, Cat Allman

,----[ Quote ]
| Google uses, creates and supports open source software (OSS) both as the raw
| material of code, and as a development model. My work in the Open Source
| Programs Office (OSPO) at Google as one member of a three person Outreach
| team is almost entirely about the mechanics of building good relations
| between the F/LOSS community at large and Google. This article describes our
| day-to-day tasks which are variously focused on student programs, external
| communications, event management, and financial administration.
`----

http://www.osbr.ca/ojs/index.php/osbr/article/view/886/856

Are You A Contributor?: Women's Contributions to Linux & Open Source Span
Technology and Business, Amanda McPherson

,----[ Quote ]
| While there are over 60 names on the list of women in open source on the Geek
| Feminism wiki, there are far more than 60 women making their mark in open
| source. I work with talented people every day in my role as Vice President of
| Marketing and Developer Programs at the Linux Foundation, and see first-hand
| the contributions women make at the technology and business levels.
`----

http://www.osbr.ca/ojs/index.php/osbr/article/view/884/854

Offline: Where Tech Communities Succeed With Women, Selena Deckelmann

,----[ Quote ]
| Conferences are one way that women can be drawn into the free/libre and open
| source software (F/LOSS) ecosystem. Many different approaches are needed to
| increase women's participation in F/LOSS, but face-to-face interaction has
| proven to be a critical part of the way the technology community in Portland,
| Oregon has thrived. This article describes the successes of this community,
| and suggests how other communities could benefit from Portland's experience.
`----

http://www.osbr.ca/ojs/index.php/osbr/article/view/888/858

Where are the Alpha *Female* Hackers?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/03/where-are-famous-female-hackers.html

Women of Tech: Hear Us Roar, A Special Series from www.oreillynet.com

,----[ Quote ]
| The timely new series reveals the challenges, rewards, and, sometimes,
| frustrations of being a woman in an industry still dominated by men. "Each
| day, we'll present a different woman's story that I believe will open
| readers' eyes to her unique perspective," explains Apandi. "We have
| contributions from conference organizers, authors, programmers, developers,
| and more--women who have pioneered prosperous careers in technology."
`----

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5213

Macho Geek Madness

http://www.tuxdeluxe.org/node/100

Related:

[Fwd: [Announce] 5th Linuxchix Brazil Conference]

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on the encouragement and inclusion of women in the Free and Open
| Source Software movement, but united by the ideology, Linuxchix Brazil is
| a large and highly active chapter of Linuxchix.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/247814/

Linuxchix New Zealand set up

,----[ Quote ]
| Women who like Linux now have a community organisation in New
| Zealand to support them: LinuxChix NZ.

Linuxchix Australia Expands

,----[ Quote ]
| An Australia-wide chapter of LinuxChix has formed, for women
| living in Australia who are interested in Linux and Free Software.

SCALE 5x: Women in Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "It was excellent, but I came with, I suppose... a little bit of
| fear that nobody was going to show up. I've dabbled with the
| idea of having similar thing at a conference that I run called
| the Ohio Linux Fest," she told me. "I absolutely feel inspired by
| this. I wondered for quite some time as to how I made the shift --
| of being able to walk into this community and feel that I would
| be accepted rather than just sit down very shyly and figure that
| I wasn't going to be accepted. I do now feel like a welcomed
| member of this community."
`----

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/300/

Portrait: LinuxChix Brazil's Sulamita Garcia

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/02/07/1645205&tid=12