[News] The Market Opens Up Thanks to Free Software, Standards

FOSS and the Free Market

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, the way the free market works makes it impractical to sell
| software itself. By taking software out of the market and into the hands of
| open source developers, we can let the market work the way it's supposed to.
`----

http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/FOSS-and-the-Free-Market.html?blogger=LeafStorm

Google's Long Shot At Kicking Microsoft Off The Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| I think the answer lies with HTML 5-compliant mobile device browsers, a
| potential gold-mine which will attract a tsunami of developers large and
| powerful enough to rip the sails right off Microsoft’s boat. Gary had a lot
| to say about mobile browsers, and I’ll detail that in my next post.
`----

http://industry.bnet.com/technology/10002039/googles-long-shot-at-kicking-microsoft-off-the-desktop/

Recent:

New drafts for HTML 5

,----[ Quote ]
| Two new working drafts of the next specification for HTML have been published
| by HTML Working Group of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). One draft
| document deals with HTML 5 itself, while the second draft document looks at
| the difference between HTML 5 and HTML 4.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/133083

Dailymotion tests non-Flash video portal

,----[ Quote ]
| French video portal Dailymotion is ditching the use of proprietary plug-ins
| such as Flash and Silverlight for its "pré bêta" Dailymotion site. Instead,
| the open video site is exploring the possibilities offered by HTML 5 and the
| pre-release version of Firefox 3.5. Rather than using a plug-in, the HTML 5
| video player used by the video portal integrates content encoded using open
| source video codec Ogg Theora via the forthcoming HTML 5 video element.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Dailymotion-tests-non-Flash-video-portal--/news/113421

Google toys with plug-in free YouTube

,----[ Quote ]