Re: [News] Vista 7 Stinks Badly on Sub-notebooks, GNU/Linux to Capitalise

Terry Porter wrote:
Megabyte wrote:

The
problem is many of the current Linux models also have capabilities
limited by default

I just don't know why you keep claiming this, when it's just not accurate,
and I can't believe that by now, you're still unaware of it.

The *standard* capabilities of Linpus Lite (acer Aspire One) leave even the
most advanced Windows install for dead in terms of capabilities.

I won't list them again, it's just too tedious.

Same with the *standard* Xandros install on a EeePC.

Terry, if Linpus Lite is so great why aren't you and everyone else running it on your desktops? Linpus Lite is just that, a "Lite" simplified version of Linux for Netbooks. In terms of Xandros, many of the Linux users purchasing an Eee quickly dump it for their favorite distribution. Check out some of the Eee Forums on the web if you don't believe me. In addition, can you pick-up an Eee PC 1000HE with Xandros? So the newest Eee model with the best battery life of all Netbooks on the market isn't being sold with Xandros? Dell seems to be the one OEM that has done things right by using Ubuntu. The fact that 33% of their netbook sales are Ubuntu machines and return rates between XP and Ubuntu models are the same speaks volumes. As much as you can argue the merits of Linpus Lite and Xandros, average consumers and some OEMs seem to see it differently.

so people may accept a limited version of Windows 7 as the default. Time will tell.

When the Windows unit costs more ?  ...... PUHLEESE!

Hmm, seems to be happening right now with XP doesn't it? Even Dell, who in my opinion has done things right is experiencing 66% of their sales going with XP.

I think in this segment, price is king, and you haven't even seen the ARM offerings yet. Microsoft won't be able to offer any version of Windows
on them and thereby exclude the products from Windows retailers.

Without a doubt there is a segment of the population that want the lowest price. There is also a segment that will pay more just for the familiarity of Windows. Another segment of the market, likely the largest though looks at quality and features as well as price.

I have owned an ARM Internet tablet for a couple of years, it fits in my
pocket, has the Opera Browser, WiFi, Bluetooth, Xchat, Nmap, SSH,
Maemomapper (GPS), mplayer, audio player and a ton of other stuff, all
installable over WiFi by its Debian package manager.

 It runs continuously for over 5 hours on a charge, including the screen
(800x480) being backlit the whole time. I have highly detailed GPS maps
saved on its 2GB SD card, and if it needs a new map, it will download one
automatically via WiFi.

Two years ago it cost $230 AUD *brand new* !

If any of the new ARMS come with a Eink display, they will blow mine away,
in terms of all day battery life and outdoor display visibility etc.

Microsoft don't seem to understand that they are going to be swept away in a
tidal wave of portable Linux powered devices, and that they have no
products to fight back with.

The ARM market will be interesting to watch. The question is how will they perform and will they ship with a full popular distribution?