[News] Free/Open Source Promoted in Italy, But UK Clogged Up by Microsoft Cronies

  • Subject: [News] Free/Open Source Promoted in Italy, But UK Clogged Up by Microsoft Cronies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 02:17:22 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Engineering Group and Ingres Agree to Business Partnership to Strengthen Open
Source Offering in Italy

,----[ Quote ]
| Engineering Group, Italy’s leading IT services company, and Ingres
| Corporation, a leading provider of open source database management software
| and support services, announced today a new business partnership designed to
| strengthen its joint open source database and business intelligence offering
| in the region.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090303005310&newsLang=en

Newham CIO sheds light on Microsoft relationship

,----[ Quote ]
| With the government promising to use open-source rather than proprietary
| alternatives (if there is no significant cost difference in products and
| services), I asked whether there will there be a Socitm/local government
| pushback against central government policy on open source, if Steel thinks
| open source is behind?
|
| However, Steel said that his personal opinions were not Socitm policy.
|
| "I will quite freely express my views, but they are in no way Socitm policy,"
| said Steel. "Socitm is interested in promoting and using open source."
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10012267o-2000331828b,00.htm?new_comment

Recent:

This isn't “Open Source”

,----[ Quote ]
| The piece is entitle “Open Sauce”, but it ought really be called “”Open
| Source””, since its author, Richard Steel, the CIO of Newham, seems to have
| such distaste for the concept that he can't bring himself even to write the
| words without sanitising them between the quotation marks.
|
| He is reacting to the UK Government's Action Plan on open source, and I'd
| like to react to those reactions.
|
| Mr Steel writes:
|
| I don’t like the term “Open Source”. It’s misleading; what many people mean
| is “anything but Microsoft”; few businesses actually use open source
| directly – they buy software derived from open source that has been
| commercially packaged and sold with support, which, in practice, is little
| different to licensed software.
|
| Well, no: there's nothing misleading in the term. It's tightly defined by the
| rigorous and well-understood Open Source Definition, which has nothing
| whatsoever to do with “anything but Microsoft”; indeed, Microsoft actually
| has some OSD-approved licences – the Microsoft Public License and Microsoft
| Reciprocal License: so does this mean that Microsoft is pushing “anything but
| Microsoft” too?
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1923&blogid=14

Promoting Microsoft...

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the same man who originated the term "doing a Newham" - ie the
| process of feigning interest in Linux to get, ahem, 'preferential
| arrangements' with Microsoft.
|
| This is the same man who, in line with Newhams MoU with Microsoft, starred in
| Microsoft's "Get the Facts" roadshow.
|
| As Dr John Pugh MP has stated, "Microsoft is *very* close to the UK
| Government, and they intend to stay there".
|
| Richard Steel's appointment as President of Socitm is a very canny play from
| the multiply-convicted monopolist.
|
| Of course the contractual obligation to promote Microsoft in the UK Public
| Sector will not affect either his credibility, or his bias-free ability to
| perform this new role, nobody could possibly think that, could they?
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/talkback/0,1000001161,39408136-39001084c-20093563o,00.htm

If a Linux interoperability deal is done in a forest, and no one is around to
witness it, does it really exist?

,----[ Quote ]
| During a visit to the KommITS conference in Sweden, Richard discovered the
| following information: “I note that Novell has a local arrangement with
| Microsoft, which resells its version of Suse Linux to enable Linux
| exploitation on a Windows platform!” The exclamation mark is his own, and
| suggests genuine surprise at hearing the news of Microsoft and Novell’s
| entanglement.
|
| It would be easy to suggest that any CIO must have had their head in the sand
| not to have been aware of a small agreement that Microsoft and Novell entered
| into a little while ago, but also I think one also has to accept that for a
| great number of senior IT executives this sort of information just isn’t as
| fascinating as open source followers think it is.
|
| [...]
|
| Conspiracy theory alert: Newham is one of Microsoft’s flagship local
| government accounts in the UK following its controversial decision to sign a
| ten-year agreement with Microsoft after ditching plans to move to an open
| source environment. Clearly, Newham has less reason then to be interested in
| Linux and Microsoft’s relationship with Novell than other organizations (it
| also explains why Microsoft’s SLES voucher-wielding sales team hasn’t been
| breaking down the door).
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/05/12/if-a-linux-interoperability-deal-is-done-in-a-forest/

Newham has a cow over Microsoft MOU

| However, Newham has supplied the INQUIRER with internal studies that it says
| do demonstrate that its decision to commit to Microsoft was justified. The
| studies were performed by Socitm, a private public sector consulting firm of
| which Newham COI Steele is a vice president. the INQUIRER will report on
| these findings in due course.
|
| Meanwhile, the original MOU is enlightening. As well as claiming the deal
| would enable Newham to achieve high rankings in Audit Commission assessments,
| it committed Newham to moving all "competitive technology" to Microsoft,
| regardless of the feasibility of such a move.
|
| It also required Steele to promote Microsoft software.
|
| See attached file: Memorandum of Understanding.doc
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/21/microsoft-newham-council-goes

Is This the Season of Porcine Aerobatics?

,----[ Quote ]
| Two of the darkest moments for open source in the UK involved the loss of
| major public projects. The first was Newham Borough Council, which ran a
| high-profile trial of open source only to ditch it at the last moment, after
| magically receiving an offer it couldn't refuse from Microsoft – which cynics
| suggested was the main motivation for the open source exercise in the first
| place.
|
| This was bad news for free software, because it enabled Microsoft to do two
| things. First, it could claim that an independent body had tried open source
| and found it wanting, and secondly, it was able to use Newham as a showcase
| for its public sector technology.
|
| In some ways, the second defeat was even worse. It involved a massive
| contract with the NHS that was far-reaching in scope...
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=728

War of words breaks out over Microsoft MOU

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/23/scrapped-microsoft-mou