[News] Free Software Sought for US Schools, CMSs Compared

Open Source In Public K-12 Schools?

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm a computer science major who has been recently getting involved in local
| grassroots politics in my county and state. I've been discussing the idea
| with some of my state legislatures of submitting a couple of resolutions,
| opening up to the idea of switching to open source software in our state's
| K-12 schools. I'm looking for more information/literature about this topic,
| open source solutions in public K-12 education, pros and cons, studies that
| prove or disprove many of the assumptions of open source and linux in public
| schools.
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/27/1412202&from=rss

Open Source and usability: Joomla vs. WordPress

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the course of the last few years, I’ve been in charge of putting up a
| number of websites for various companies, often as favors for friends. In
| most cases, I’ve ended up using one out of two solutions: Joomla! and
| WordPress. While both of these projects have evolved greatly over the last
| few years, they are vastly different. Joomla! has always been intended as
| a ‘fit-all-your-possible-needs’-kind of CMS solution, while WordPress was
| developed as a blog with CMS capabilities. Recently WordPress has opened up
| to allow its users to set up a site with static-only material (with the
| option of a blog-page), without having to hack the code. Hence it’s one step
| closer to being a direct competitor to Joomla!.
`----

http://www.playingwithwire.com/2009/03/open-source-and-usability-joomla-vs-wordpress/

Recent:

Open source question for school

,----[ Quote ]
| Andrew Miller asks whether open source software can help schools use their
| budgets more efficiently
|
| Looking around the British Education Training and Technology show, BETT 2009,
| it was clear by the sheer size of the event, that an awful lot of money is
| being spent on technology in education.
|
| With Open Source Software (OSS) freely available, covering almost every
| requirement in the national curriculum, a question has to be asked why
| schools do not back it more fully, possibly saving millions of pounds.

Linux group to discuss free software in schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Kochi: The Indian Linux Users’ Group (ILUG), Kochi chapter, will discuss
| various aspects of free software education in schools in the State at its
| monthly meeting at the Internet Club in Broadway Enclave on Sunday.
|
| The thrust of the meeting will be to bridge the gap between the teaching
| community and the free software fraternity.
`----

http://www.thehindu.com/2008/12/26/stories/2008122650810200.htm

Macedonia and Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]