Re: [News] Review: Simply Mepis 8 is Fantastic

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 16:32:07 +0000, 7 wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Simply Mepis 8 is Finally Here
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In summary, I am extremely pleased with this version of Simply Mepis.
>> It | is rock solid, easy to use and easy to maintain. I must not forget
>> to | give credit to the guys from the MEPISlovers forums who worked |
>> tirelessly producing quality artwork, giving valuable input to Warren.
>> | My hat is off to everyone who had a hand in making this distribution
>> the | excellent product it is.
>> `----
>>
>> http://preacherpen.wordpress.com/2009/02/27
> simply-mepis-8-is-finally-here/
>

> I converted Mepis 8 live CD iso to boot on 1Gb SD Card with syslinux and
> it booted just fine on the Asus EEE. What was fantastic is the boot
> speed and then the general speed of the OS whenever you activated a
> menu.
>
> Its astonishing that so much can be packed into a smal distro and still
> have great performance.

I agree with you regarding Mepis 7.
It is even fast running from a CD.

Fully installed it is so much faster than the Opensuse 11.1 that it
replaced I wondered if something was wrong with my Suse system.
Just for laughs I installed Opensuse 11.1 on a spare partition and
confirmed my suspicion that compared to Mepis, Opensuse is noticeably
slower.
It's been a long wait, but the Mepis team have really raised the bar with
this release.