[News] The "Innovation" Buzzword Fades Away, Free Software in Winning

The "Big Boys" don't innovate anymore

,----[ Quote ]
| The real innovation comes from small businesses and projects trying to meet a
| need and make a name for themselves.
|
| They are unencumbered by massive PR and marketing departments trying to throw
| in everything but the stuff that is needed in order to appease some marketing
| survey.
|
| [...]
|
| Wouldn't it be nice if IBM or someone asembled a crack team of coders and let
| them loose on their own. Give them a list of "top ten type of apps that would
| really be good to have in OpenSOurce" and let them go. No one else talks to
| them except in providing information they ask for in terms of research.
`----

http://linuxgeeksunited.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-boys-dont-innovate-anymore.html

OpenSource Software Bounty Hunters

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's all pitch in and make a list of the top ten apps/programs that are most
| needed for Linux/OpenSource and then everyone find a way to drop some cash
| into the hat. We'll use the cash to offer a 'bounty' for the programmer(s)
| who submit a working, usable solution for one of the top ten list.
|
| We'll talk to the "Big Boys" out there and try to get them to participate as
| well. The more cash we put in the hat, the bigger the bounty we can offer.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/36795

How we won the open source battle

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/how-we-won-open-source-battle-449

Recent:

Microsoft Research...why make the effort?

,----[ Quote ]
| What research is for, in cases like Microsoft, is status. It's a very tax
| efficient, with many valuable and wonderful side effects that occasionally
| benefit the company, but its primary task is marketing. It's proof, even in
| these most distressingly modern of times, that patronage works.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10238446-75.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft Product Improvement Is Not Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/04/microsoft_produ.html