[News] European Parliament Learns About Free/Libre Software

[FSF] Free Software Action Alert!

,----[ Quote ]
| The upcoming European parliament elections give the free software movement an
| opportunity to educate the candidates to the importance of protecting free
| software from bad legislation involving software patents, interoperability
| and net neutrality.  The French free software association April has organized
| the Free Software Pact initiative, but they need your help. In particular,
| candidates in the UK need to be contacted immediately.
`----

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-fsf/2009-05/msg00004.html

Recent:

Transparently Wrong

,----[ Quote ]
| After much battling, Cappato obtained the study. Since it was actually
| written in 2005, and based on even earlier work, its conclusion are pretty
| worthless: they essentially say that there is no cost benefit to switching
| from Microsoft's products to free, but do note that there are issues of
| independence involved that politicians might like to consider.
|
| Given that things have moved on so much in the last five years, particularly
| in terms of office document format standards, I don't want to dwell on those
| outdated results. Instead, I'd like to highlight the fact that the European
| Union's bureaucracy fought to keep it unpublished for all that time; worse,
| the justification was protecting the “commercial interests of Microsoft”.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2195&blogid=14

The EU Parliament still sticks with Microsoft. Here’s why.

,----[ Quote ]
| An Italian EU deputy, Marco Cappato, had the guts to ask. The reply was they
| were basing on a study made in 2005. He asked to them to make it public, but
| his request was refused. Nobody believed he could get the EU to make it
| public. An well known Italian IT website even called that ‘a miracle‘.
|
| I’m going no further, I’ll just translate Cappato’s post and attach here the
| document for the world to see. Up to you to judge how good it is.
|
| (not that is that the document is still super-secret, but it has been
| disclosed very recently and I guess you won’t have many other chances to read
| it otherwise)
`----

http://www.stefanoforenza.com/the-eu-parliament-still-sticks-with-microsoft-heres-why/

Secret EU Open Source Migration Study Leaked

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/15/1229231&art_pos=1