[News] Australian Government Should Bend Towards Free Software

ASEAN Free Software Wishlist

,----[ Quote ]
| But, so far as I am aware no one actually is throwing money around.  Which is
| disappointing, given that the Australian government donates $100 million a
| year to the copyright lobby and even more to the closed source lobby.
`----

http://brendanscott.wordpress.com/2009/05/20/asean-free-software-wishlist/

Our government should adopt communism to save money

,----[ Quote ]
| Why isn't our government considering doing something similar? It is about to
| sign another deal with Microsoft locking the government in to using Microsoft
| software for another 3 years. This deal is called "G2009". The New Zealand
| Open Source Society (NZOSS) has called for an immediate halt to the G2009
| process. "We rush to criticise banks for profit-taking, but here we are
| negotiating for marginal cost savings from one of the government's biggest IT
| suppliers while they take massive profits from the taxpayer," says NZOSS
| President Don Christie.
`----

http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/show-me-money/2009/5/20/our-government-should-adopt-communism-save-money/?c_id=3&objectid=10573369

Recent:

Microsoft whole-of-government deal sealed

,----[ Quote ]
| THE federal Government hopes to save at least $15 million per annum over four
| years through a new whole-of-government arrangement with Microsoft Australia.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,25028754-15306,00.html

Breaking news: Australian Government's Classification Board website hacked

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/140964,breaking-news-australian-government-website-hacked.aspx