[News] Free Software Has Real Opportunity in Parts of US Government

Government and Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| In order to understand the government's interest in open source software, one
| must understand the government acquisition process.
`----

http://virtualization.sys-con.com/node/969658/print

Blumenthal offers deadlines but puts off the hard decision

,----[ Quote ]
| What all this should tell people in the health IT sector, whether proprietary
| or open source, is that the game is afoot, and that negotiations on how open
| source and proprietary programs will interact in a new health IT
| infrastructure are underway.
|
| The lobbying has begun in earnest.
`----

http://healthcare.zdnet.com/?p=2309

Recent:

Trash Talk

,----[ Quote ]
| Is there something about Estonia that makes them special? According to the
| Open Source Index, they have the highest Community Activity rank of all the
| countries measured. Now, the US is not far behind in that metric, but I think
| we should look a little deeper. Perhaps Estonia scored so high because they
| have an ethos of community activity that naturally carries over to software.
| And perhaps the US scored so high because within the open source community we
| get it. But we remain a small minority within an enormous landfill of
| proprietary software development. When enlightened, American software
| programmers can be as good as the Estonians at community activity. The
| trouble is, there just aren't enough of us. Yet.
`----

http://www.opensource.org/node/433

Where does Obama stand on open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Love him or hate him, Barack Obama will be President into 2013.
|
| This is a key moment for open source. In some ways it is going from strength
| to strength. But it remains vulnerable to counter-attack from the copyright
| industries.
|
| So far the President’s record on open source is mixed.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4214

Does experience at Microsoft make for a good politician?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Does_experience_at_Microsoft_make_for_a_good_politician_44020027.html