Re: [News] Is Nokia Ditching Symbian for Linux Yet?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Nokia, Intel developing oFono Linux-based OS for GSM phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the unquestionable success of the S60 platform, Nokia apparently | isn’t ready to settle with just one OS for all of its devices as word is that | they’re preparing a new mobile OS in collaboration with Intel. Called oFono, | this new Linux-based mobile platform is for GSM phones ruling out any | speculation that it’s for a Nokia netbook `----

http://www.pmptoday.com/2009/05/15/nokia-intel-developing-ofono-linux-based-os-for-gsm-phones/

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147587

Qt Labs is building an S60 backend for Qt.

S60 will be the layer between Qt and Symbian OS.

So a developer can build his app for Qt and expect it to run on Symbian, (which has the largest share of smartphones nowadays) and oFono Linux.

There is a Mac OS backend for Qt, and iPhone OS is supposed to be similar to Mac OS, so can a Qt for iPhone OS be far away?

There is a Windows CE backend for Qt.

Of course, apps built for Qt can run on desktop Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.

So a developer can use Qt to target most smartphones, netbooks, and nearly all notebooks, and desktops from the same code base. Not only /can/ he target all platforms, he will have to do so in order to compete.

I don't know why we couldn't expect Qt backends for Blackberry and Android eventually.

But getting back to the question of whether Nokia is ditching Symbian, I would have to say yes. Nokia is going with Qt, and cross-platform development favors the minority OSes, all else being equal---although I expect it will be a fairly long process for Nokia to replace Symbian with Linux.

Sybase Befriends Samsung, Symbian, Amazon

,----[ Quote ]
| With the adoption of this open source client, Sybase iAnywhere said it added | support fo over a billion phones including numerous Nokia devices and Symbian | phones. `----

http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/3820476/Sybase+Befriends+Samsung+Symbian+Amazon.htm

Recent:

Nokia Nautilus and MID Linux handsets due soon

,----[ Quote ]
| Then there is the Nokia Nautilus smartphone, again a slide out QWERTY
| smartphone with touch-screen with a sensor that extends the slider keyboard
| and is expected in 2010.
`----

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2009/04/12/nokia-nautilus-and-mid-linux-handsets-due-soon/

Nokia prepping tablets, netbook, touchscreen phones?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4862947030.html?kc=rss