Re: Linux on the Desktop - latest survey (may 2009)

> ____/ Rex Ballard on Tuesday 19 May 2009 03:38 : \____
>
>> A group called Freedom Dynamics just recently put out an
>> interesting survey.

That's "Freeform Dynamics"

>> http://cattail.cambridge.ibm.com/cattail/download/7C0C0F1004463DD9A41006937F000001/1/Freeform_Dynamics-Desktop_Linux.pdf
>>  http://tinyurl.com/exqys
[...]
> This IBM domain does not work. Who was it commissioned by?

Ostensibly, The Register, although I'd guess it was actually paid for by
IBM, since they seem to have the results before everyone else:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/30/linux_desktop_study/

Here's the poll:

http://forms.theregister.co.uk/studies/200903-linux/?pid=art1

Also see Message-ID:
<fa3886c4-f06d-4690-800c-5c40c234201e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_frm/thread/8f2f127afbe0f31a/c39c3837cae52982?q=#c39c3837cae52982

As for the domain not working, a bit of research revealed this:

[quote]
Cattail is a web site where IBMers can upload files and share them with
their colleagues. It was designed to provide significant advantages over
email when doing "ad-hoc" sharing of files. When you share a file with
someone, Cattail sends the recipient an email. If you upload a new
version of a given file, Cattail will inform all of the past recipients
of a file that a new version is available for upload.
[quote]

http://domino.watson.ibm.com/cambridge/research.nsf/0/7ea66f4eb9382eaf852573d1005cff95?OpenDocument

Looks like Rex posted a link to an Intranet page internal to IBM.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which
| the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf
| denounces him for the same act, as the destroyer of liberty.
| Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of
| the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today
| among human creatures." ~ Abraham Lincoln

 22:39:30 up 8 days,  1:00,  4 users,  load average: 0.36, 0.25, 0.28