Re: Linux on the Desktop - latest survey (may 2009)

____/ Rex Ballard on Tuesday 19 May 2009 03:38 : \____

http://cattail.cambridge.ibm.com/cattail/download/7C0C0F1004463DD9A41006937F000001/1/Freeform_Dynamics-Desktop_Linux.pdf

> http://tinyurl.com/exqys
> <quote>
> Desktop Linux adoption is primarily driven by cost reduction
> When asked during a recent online survey of over a thousand IT
> professionals with experience of
> desktop Linux deployment in a business context, over 70% of
> respondents indicated cost reduction as
> the primary driver for adoption. Ease of securing the desktop and a
> general lowering of overheads
> associated with maintenance and support were cited as factors
> contributing to the benefit.
>
> But deployment is currently limited, and challenges to further
> adoption frequently exist
> The majority of desktop Linux adopters have only rolled out to less
> than 20% of their total PC user
> base at the moment, though the opportunity for more extensive
> deployment is clearly identified. In
> order for Linux to reach its full potential in an organisation,
> however, it is necessary to pay particular
> attention to challenges in the areas of targeting, user acceptance and
> application compatibility.
> </quote>
>
> Charts show that key drivers were lower cost, better security, and
> reliability/stability.
>
> Key barriers seem to be a function of Microsoft's successful campaign
> to keep as many people as possible as ignorant of Linux as possible,
> for as long as possible.
>
> Key barriers to Linux adoption were corporate politics and
> organizational resistance, and individual user resistance to giving up
> Windows.  Application compatibility was an issue, but more than half
> seemed to feel that business requirements could be met using Linux.

"A study commissioned by IBM..."

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25171/1054/

I'd rather see real research (in the old sense) that's now shilled for.

Companies like Astra Zeneca are now even corrupting academic research.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

"PEZ educates the children as well. Break the neck of something cute,
and you get something good to eat." -- Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
Swap:  4088500k total,   417880k used,  3670620k free,   264040k cached