Re: [News] K Desktop Environment 4.3 Looking Good, GNOME Elections Coming

Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:
> DFS wrote:
>
>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>
>>> ...the "Star Wars" movies were rendered on linux-clusters
>> Always the lies from dumbkopf.
>
> Poor DumbFullShit. Again something where windows played no part in.
> So it certainly has to be a "lie"
>
> Aren't you ever ashamed of yourself?

When reality doesn't fit DooFy's twisted delusions, it must therefore be
a lie. Of course, had he bothered to do all of 10 seconds research, he'd
have known better:

[quote]
"Linux is increasing the quality of our work, not the quantity", says
Andy Hendrickson, director of research and development. Large amounts of
processing power enable more user control. He explains,

    "We often go into a show knowing what we want but are forced to
scale back realism with shortcuts because of a lack of processing power.
Using Linux we can add more realism. We direct effects. It isn't enough
to have a cloud that is an NOAA-accurate model. Artistic staff directs
the effects with, 'Make that cloud more fluffy'. Or, if we simulate an
entire ocean, as in Perfect Storm, 'Make that wave larger'".

ILM made a bold move to undertake their Linux conversion in the midst of
a major movie production, switching while work was underway on Episode
II. "We thought converting to Linux would be a lot harder than it was",
says Hendrickson. "Linux is so like what we had before. We pushed
forward deployment in November 2001 and will finish conversion after
Episode II." During the changeover, ILM is supporting existing SGI IRIX
machines and Linux PCs to avoid overwhelming users with too much change.

Sequence supervisor Robert Weaver is a technical director on Episode II.
Weaver's desk has a Linux PC on the left side and an SGI O2 on the
right. Because the Linux desktop is configured to look like the SGI O2,
it isn't immediately apparent which screen is which, until Weaver
demonstrates the difference in speed. He says,

    "The old system is so slow that the clones firing lasers appear to
be throwing javelins. We've seen about a five times speed improvement
with Linux, which is appreciated! I'd say Linux is one of the most
successful efforts we've had. I can't say enough good things about it.
It is intuitive, incredibly stable, and we can get stuff fixed at a
moment's notice."
[/quote]

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6011

Related:

Open Source: Ready for Its Closeup

[quote]
For many filmmakers, the economics alone make open source filmmaking an
attractive option. When free or low-cost production tools like CinePaint
and Blender are combined with free hosting services like Internet
Archive, writers and filmmakers are free to focus on film production
rather than financing. Some filmmakers are even going beyond simply
sharing ideas and also sharing the footage they've shot.

"Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at
major animation and visual effects studios, with maybe 98 percent [or
more] penetration," CinePaint Project Manager Robin Rowe told
LinuxInsider. "With the big dogs, there's nobody left to convert to
Linux. Every studio is already on board."
[/quote]

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/57300.html

Hollywood Loves Linux

[quote]
Disney/Pixar, DreamWorks Animation, Sony, ILM and other movie production
studios from Hollywood are using Linux to produce their movies.
I bet not many of you knew this (I didn't until today) but practically
every blockbuster movie you see in theaters today was created with
Linux. Hollywood prefers to use Linux instead of other operating
systems, like Windows or Macintosh, for three simple reasons: it's
better, faster and cheaper.
[/quote]

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hollywood-Loves-Linux-45571.shtml

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which
| the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf
| denounces him for the same act, as the destroyer of liberty.
| Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of
| the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today
| among human creatures." ~ Abraham Lincoln

 14:45:05 up 5 days, 17:05,  4 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.06, 0.05